Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

bbusse
2012-02-02T16:48:37Z
Hello.

I'm having a problem on ONE of our two servers. We have a QA server for testing that I have upgraded to 6.0.6 from 5.7.8 and all is working well. However, now that QA looked fine, I went ahead and upgraded our production server to 6.0.6 and now when I try to connect to the production server from the 6.0.6 client running on my workstation, it connnects, but there is no list of Jobs. It just shows the server and username, and nothing else. This is not happening on our QA server. If I open the client locally on the Production server it works just fine, thankfully. I just can't manage it remotely right now.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have this issue?

Both servers AND my workstaion are running Windows 2008 Server Standard R2 64-bit. I am domain admin and I have AD enabled on both the QA and Prod server. I have also tried a local login using my remote client on the production server and the list is still blank. QA has no issue no matter which way I try.

Brian
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2012-02-02T17:01:58Z
Hi,

are you fully connected or is the progress bar not 100%?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
bbusse
2012-02-02T17:13:50Z
Originally Posted by: Support 

Hi,

are you fully connected or is the progress bar not 100%?

Yep, Fully connected the progress bar hits 100% and then disappears and i have the option to disconnect (vs connect). I just can't see anything. I can pull up logs and do other fuctions, but the job list is non-existant. I also tried grouping/ungrouping, which had no effect.

Brian
Support
2012-02-02T17:22:04Z
Try to export settings and import them again.
Henrik
Support
bbusse
2012-02-02T18:44:45Z

Try to export settings and import them again.

Before I do that, I just want to make sure i'm understanding the thoughts behind it. Keep in mind, this is production. Thankfully we dont have a bunch of jobs on there, I just dont want to end up breaking it for more than 30 min or so at at time 🙂 What would exporting and re-importing the settings on the server do to fix a remote client issue? Just asking, not sure what happens during the import process that may trigger it to work.

By the way, Although i'm not sure of the reason for this, I just figured out what seems to be causing the issue.

On the connection settings within the client, if I type in the server name and enable compression, it fails to load the job list. If I uncheck the 'use compression' option it works just fine. This is true ON THE SERVER ITSELF also. If I check the 'Is a local server' box locally on the server, it works fine. this was expected.

Fails:
Is a local server: UNCHECKED
server: MYSERVERNAME
use compression: CHECKED

Success:
Is a local server: UNCHECKED
server: MYSERVERNAME
use compression: UNCHECKED

So that being said, Can you validate on a 6.0.6 server that if you type in the server name, enable compression, default port, that it works fine for you?
Support
2012-02-02T18:59:36Z
Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the Jobs were not on the server at all. You should not try to re-import if they are already there.

We have seen this before, maybe every 3 months a customer says the same as you. As we have not been able to reproduce this ourselves we do not know the reason.

We have an idea though. It seems like the compressed data, that is sent, contains an not allowed character which messes up the communication. The problem is almost, every time, temporary and disappears after the Jobs have been run (that contains this data).

The culprit is a Task in the jobs.xml file that contains this characters. It only produces this character when serialized and compressed.

We have thought about different solutions but in the future we are going to rewrite the communication and a result of that will be that this cannot happen. Until then, we recommend that you connect un-compressed until it starts working again.
Henrik
Support
bbusse
2012-02-02T19:05:14Z

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the Jobs were not on the server at all. You should not try to re-import if they are already there.

We have seen this before, maybe every 3 months a customer says the same as you. As we have not been able to reproduce this ourselves we do not know the reason.

We have an idea though. It seems like the compressed data, that is sent, contains an not allowed character which messes up the communication. The problem is almost, every time, temporary and disappears after the Jobs have been run (that contains this data).

The culprit is a Task in the jobs.xml file that contains this characters. It only produces this character when serialized and compressed.

We have thought about different solutions but in the future we are going to rewrite the communication and a result of that will be that this cannot happen. Until then, we recommend that you connect un-compressed until it starts working again.

Ok, Sounds good. Our Q server, which is not having this issue, only has 2-3 jobs on it. Production (for now) has around 20 or so but they run fairly often which is why I was concerned about messing with it TOO much.

My team members are all on the LAN with high speed direct connections to this server so unchecking the 'use compression' box will not be of any consequence to us. We'll just do that by default from now on :)

Thanks for the followup!!

Brian
SPIEDV
2013-11-20T14:05:29Z
We had a similar problem, we think the &#x7 is our culprit (see screenshot from another job output)

<Result>Exception in Task: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---&gt; System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Microsoft Excel cannot access the file 'C:\shared\Makro.xls'. There are several possible reasons:

&#x7; The file name or path does not exist.
&#x7; The file is being used by another program.
&#x7; The workbook you are trying to save has the same name as a currently open workbook.&#xD;
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---&#xD;
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeDispMethod(String name, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Object target, Object[] args, Boolean[] byrefModifiers, Int32 culture, String[] namedParameters)&#xD;
at System.RuntimeType.InvokeMember(String name, BindingFlags bindingFlags, Binder binder, Object target, Object[] providedArgs, ParameterModifier[] modifiers, CultureInfo culture, String[] namedParams)&#xD;
at dHjrEpSOcKGX8eJeHa.sKZnH2IRVC1GdA3ldh.WLJUM8s80()&#xD;
Exception in Task: Non zero exit code&#xD;
</Result>

we "fixed" the issue by restarting the job to create a different output
SPIEDV attached the following image(s):
Scroll to Top