Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

kparker
2014-03-15T23:56:28Z
Good Afternoon,

The recent VC upgrade seems to have caused some of my power shell scripts to stop working. These same scripts continued to function outside of VC, luckily I was able to find an old version to step back to, once installed these scripts began to function again. This was a pretty big deal for me, I rely heavily on PS scripts for a fair amount of tasks, for them to stop working would cripple me in some respects. I'm also unsure why VC is changing the way scripts execute because that may be unnecessarily introducing problems such as this. The errors sounded like they were stopping due to some pre checking. I also might recommend making your last three versions available on your download page, I was initially worried because I was unable to locate an old version. VC 4 sounds a little to old fall back to.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2014-03-17T08:15:10Z
It sounds like it is related to Credentials. The actual error you get is interesting for us to be able to debug the issue.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
kparker
2014-03-17T12:04:09Z
I will re-install the update and post the error. I will also quickly check the permissions. I was in a bit of a hurry to get things working again so I skipped screenshoting the error. I was also working on new scripts so I was a little more confused because I thought I had a bug in my script at first.
kparker
2014-03-17T12:19:49Z
Here is the error I get for one of my scripts. Its descripton does not sound like a permission issue. I do use a compression function that calls the 7zip utility through a command line tool. I have that in most of my scripts so that they can auto-archive their results.

Exception in Task: Attribute cannot be added because it would cause the variable CompressionType with value to become invalid.

This is another script that immediatly crashes with a diff error. This script is somewhat complicated, it takes a bland text document, and converts it a web document.

Exception in Task: The term 'TranslateVariables->Infinite' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Both of these scripts continue to function in older visual cron versions.

However the older version I have, does not seem to like the .BaseName attribute in powershell.
kparker
2014-03-20T13:28:53Z
I just wanted to let you guys know that I was incorrect about the older version having an issue with the .basename attribute. I had failed to correctly get the sub string, that specific mention was an error on my part, the other two problems hold true. Might add I'm running on server 2008 if that matters. I would also like to know if this problem has been acknowledged as an issue, I can hand over one of the offending scripts if it helps.
bbusse
2014-03-20T14:00:01Z
What version of VisualCron are you currently running? 7.1.3 or 7.1.4 ?

From what I saw there was one major change in 7.1.3 that was not in other versions, and that was the VisualCron service itself.... if you look at the properties of it via the 'Services' MMC, does not have the 'Interact with Desktop' option checked. That was changed back in 7.1.4 due to other problems.

Maybe it's related?

Brian
kparker
2014-03-20T19:52:40Z
Thanks for the info Brian, I will give this a shot once I get a chance, probably sometime tomorrow. Kind of a pain to jump forward than backwards.
bbusse
2014-03-20T20:08:00Z
Originally Posted by: kparker 

Thanks for the info Brian, I will give this a shot once I get a chance, probably sometime tomorrow. Kind of a pain to jump forward than backwards.

Wait... Are you saying you're already on 7.1.4 ? if so, Stay there. I was saying 7.1.3 was 'wrong' to not have that box checked and it was checked in 7.1.2 and prior.... and also in 7.1.4

7.1.3 was the 'problem', at least as it relates to things that used to work no longer working the same way.

Brian
KHK
2014-04-22T06:57:05Z
Hi

After an update, jobs with powershell scripts stopped working, so im curious what this thread leads to.

I'm using visual cron 7.1.5

This is the error message.
"Exception in Task: System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'TranslateVariables->Infinite' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
at OBOKIIHBDBPMCFALPGECCIFHCDJPEDKODDGK.EJGOJKFMFAHBHDGJGBFLMMNKBACBIFIHLLJA.FPJMGCLDGMKPJBDLEEMBKMNHKCEDBLAPNLJA() in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronService\Jobs\TaskProcesses\Process\clsProcessTaskPowerShell.vb:line 153"

Support
2014-04-22T07:09:45Z
Originally Posted by: KHK 

Hi

After an update, jobs with powershell scripts stopped working, so im curious what this thread leads to.

I'm using visual cron 7.1.5

This is the error message.
"Exception in Task: System.Management.Automation.CommandNotFoundException: The term 'TranslateVariables->Infinite' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input)
at OBOKIIHBDBPMCFALPGECCIFHCDJPEDKODDGK.EJGOJKFMFAHBHDGJGBFLMMNKBACBIFIHLLJA.FPJMGCLDGMKPJBDLEEMBKMNHKCEDBLAPNLJA() in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronService\Jobs\TaskProcesses\Process\clsProcessTaskPowerShell.vb:line 153"

Thank you for the report. It has been fixed in version 7.1.6.
Henrik
Support
KHK
2014-04-22T07:21:57Z
Thanks for the fast reply, I'll try the update.
Have a nice day.
kparker
2014-05-05T20:38:44Z
An issue still exists here. I tried the newest version alongside a server migration, so VC is installed on server 2012. I saw some improved results since the previous upgrade in that I believe some of the functionality had been restored, some smaller scripts where executing as expected. However my more complex 'big deal' scripts still failed with the same errors. These same scripts work in an in older version of visual cron and also work outside visual cron. Ideally if I have a working script, I should not have to test functionality inside of VC on top of general power-shell testing.

Exception in Task: The term 'TranslateVariables->Infinite' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.

The error suggests I'm trying to call a function or some command with the name 'TranslateVariables->Infinite', no iteration of these words appear in my script. I just noticed a problem with the older VC version where these work as well, the older VC's send email in powershell errors out when I try to send email off our domain, but this works in the current V/C ><. As you can imagine, its a bit frustrating for me to be so close to a complete solution, but not quite there. Perhaps you can integrate a method for power shell scripts to be called outside of VC's standard environment.
bbusse
2014-05-05T20:48:19Z

Perhaps you can integrate a method for power shell scripts to be called outside of VC's standard environment.

I already do this for any scripts that give me fits. I rarely use the Powershell Task unless they're very simple scripts and generally one-liners. That's not to say it wouldn't be great if everything you do via a command prompt could be done via the powershell task, but I understand it's the 'shell' environment when called via another program that's causing some of the issues. Commands that can't be used, etc.. such as start-transcript

I still use an Execute task for more complex scripts, but for the program I just give the full path to Powershell.exe and use the path to the PS1 file as my arguments.

Of course you have 2 Powershell executables you can call, 32-bit or 64-bit:

64-bit:
c:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

32-bit:
c:\Windows\SysWOW64\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

This works, because you're not using a scripting environment to launch it... you're launching it just as you would if you were opening the command prompt yourself.

It's not a fix, but it's a solution I use.

Brian
Support
2014-05-06T06:22:58Z

If you still get this please try 7.1.7: http://www.visualcron.co....aspx?g=posts&t=4059 

If issue still persists after that then please send us the script.
Henrik
Support
kparker
2014-05-06T12:20:18Z
I ended up reverting back to version 7.0.6, the power shell scripts that fail in newer versions work in this version for whatever reason. It's easier for me at this point in time to use this instead of looking through all my scripts and identifying the ones that are going to cause a problem. I tried executing through the command execution via VC briefly and it didn't error, but didn't do anything as well. I could have probably looked into this more but its easier to just install the old version and have everything work. I will keep trying new versions though, perhaps one of them will update while maintaining the expected functionality.
kparker
2014-05-23T12:48:36Z
All right, it looks like the newest upgrade has the power shell scripts working again, happy to see that. Hopefully they don't break again in the future ><. Happy to be moving to newest version.
Support
2014-05-24T08:03:03Z
Thanks for the feedback!
Henrik
Support
Blickley
2014-07-07T17:04:47Z
I know this thread is a little older, but I just recently tried to start using the Powershell task and am getting a similar error on version 7.1.8.

Exception in Task: System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression. at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input) at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.Pipeline.Invoke() at OBOKIIHBDBPMCFALPGECCIFHCDJPEDKODDGK.EJGOJKFMFAHBHDGJGBFLMMNKBACBIFIHLLJA.FPJMGCLDGMKPJBDLEEMBKMNHKCEDBLAPNLJA() in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronService\Jobs\TaskProcesses\Process\clsProcessTaskPowerShell.vb:line 176

It appears to be the same error, but a new line number.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris
Support
2014-07-07T18:01:42Z
Originally Posted by: Blickley 

I know this thread is a little older, but I just recently tried to start using the Powershell task and am getting a similar error on version 7.1.8.

Exception in Task: System.Management.Automation.RuntimeException: You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression. at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.PipelineBase.Invoke(IEnumerable input) at System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.Pipeline.Invoke() at OBOKIIHBDBPMCFALPGECCIFHCDJPEDKODDGK.EJGOJKFMFAHBHDGJGBFLMMNKBACBIFIHLLJA.FPJMGCLDGMKPJBDLEEMBKMNHKCEDBLAPNLJA() in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronService\Jobs\TaskProcesses\Process\clsProcessTaskPowerShell.vb:line 176

It appears to be the same error, but a new line number.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris

I think you need to break down which line, in your code, causes this. Then maybe we can find out the reason why.
Henrik
Support
kparker
2014-07-07T20:13:01Z
I thought I had this working again because all of my scripts except 1 or 2 work. I have a large script that does an HTML conversion to a very large document. The script will work outside VC, I plan to eventually re-write it and if VC is still having a problem with it at that point I will be able to pinpoint the cause. I initially thought it was when I assigned a 10 mb text document to an object, but that didn't seem to be the issue. Its odd because some previous versions of VC do not seem to have this issue.
Support
2014-07-08T09:30:43Z
Try the 7.1.9 beta that you can download here: http://www.visualcron.co....aspx?g=posts&t=4223 

We have rebuilt this Task.
Henrik
Support
Scroll to Top