Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Brian Glass
2016-09-29T15:39:01Z
We have several jobs that fire based on an Exchange (IMAP4) email trigger. Occasionally our Exchange server and/or the IMAP service encounters a problem and VisualCron can no longer connect. After a number of retries, VC will disable the trigger for the job. This is very difficult to find and is not obvious. I simply see that there is no active trigger for a job and have to dig through the logs to see when/where the error first started occurring, if I can find any details at all.

It would be great if there was a way to setup a notification which could be used by the server itself in the event an error is logged. I don't like VC modifying my jobs (disabling the trigger in this instance) with no audit entry and no easy way of knowing what happened. There is no proactive notification, hence I don't find out until a user notifies me they are sending emails and nothing is happening.
Sponsor
Forum information
al355
2016-09-30T07:19:12Z
It is possible to send an alert when this happens.

You can look at these variables for example

Task Name: {TASK(PrevTask,Name)}
Task Exit Code: {TASK(PrevTask,ExitCode)}
{TASK(PrevTask,ExitCodeDesc)}

Trigger Description {TRIGGER(Active|LastTrigger|Desc)}

al355
2016-09-30T07:25:54Z
Just to add, you need a job which triggers on a trigger disabled event. Let me know if you need any help with this.
Brian Glass
2016-09-30T13:38:42Z
I appreciate the guidance. I wasn't aware of the ability to create a trigger for such events. I am testing it now on my test server. My concern is it won't actually fire if disabled by the system. This event is not even logged in the audit log, so I'll wait and see. I did test by creating a job that triggered on trigger deactivation. The job had one task, send SMTP email with the variables you listed above. Unfortunately the variables are of no use. While the variable stated PrevTask, the task details included in the email were for eth SMTP notification task. Also the Last Trigger fired description was the trigger monitoring for trigger deactivation!

However, simply getting the email notification is a start. I can probably determine what trigger was deactivated fairly easily as I only have a few culprits which commonly deactivate. I'm testing now to see if it truly fires upon system trigger deactivation.
al355
2016-09-30T15:32:16Z
We use that to tell us about which trigger has been disabled and automatic disabling works fine.

I will put a screenshot of our job up
AmTech
2016-10-07T08:53:55Z
I'm not sure sending an email to notify you if the email server is down is going to be a reliable solution...

Quietly disabling triggers is a headache for us as well.
Support
2016-12-09T17:12:39Z
We recommend using PushBullet service. You can use the VisualCron Trigger->Trigger inactivated event. In any Task or Notification you can use this value to get the full information:

{TRIGGER(Active|LastTrigger|VisualCron.Result.Message)}

Also, from the version below we support "All Jobs" as option which lets you use one Trigger for all Jobs for tracking this:

http://www.visualcron.co....aspx?g=posts&t=6981 

Also, we will soon introduce an internal event log so you can see the last events during the last 24 hours or week.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top