Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Black4cimt
2016-10-24T14:32:24Z
We had an old server running windows 2003 32 bit and Visual Cron to manage script execution. The scripts would open MINITAB, pass data to it, generate a graph, and then move the graph to a network location. This worked just fine as background execution using the RUN SCRIPT task type.

We create a new Server 2012 machine with updated VCRON. Attempting to do the exact same activity hangs on opening MINITAB with an error of: ActiveX component cannot create object mtb.application. If I reconfigure the job to run as foreground execution, or just run the script manually (no vcron), it works as planned. What extra steps may I be missing in this setup to ensure this will work as a background task? Any idea why I am getting an ActiveX error on Minitab instantiation only during background execution?

NOTE: Even with background execution, we use the same credentials/user that we log into the machine with or setup foreground. No user differences are present.
Sponsor
Forum information
Black4cimt
2016-10-26T15:28:20Z
No progress on this at this point. Any ideas, please let me know. We are spinning our wheels on this one.

We've tried specifying both 32 and 64 bit build of cscript.exe and wscript.exe. Doing this had no effect.

We've tried reinstalling Minitab and even changing versions. This also had no effect.

Could this be something in the OS? If so, what? Why does foregound work flawlessly, while background execution through VCRON fails? Beating my head against the wall here and its beginning to hurt.
Support
2016-10-26T20:14:23Z
Perhaps you can test turn of UAC?

Or make sure you have checked Load profile in the Credential settings.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Black4cimt
2016-10-28T12:52:15Z
UAC was indeed still enabled. I shut it off and it appeared like it would fix the issue, but the error just moved from instantiation line to the next line when we actually try to DO something with Minitab.

We were already using the "load profile" tick on the credential.

Still works fine if done manually or in the foreground via VCron. Background hangs and eventually dies.
Support
2016-10-28T13:04:34Z
You can also try turn on Extended debugging and then go to the Credential and select "CreateProcessAsUserW". Then try to run it.
Henrik
Support
Black4cimt
2016-10-28T13:14:49Z
Capture2.JPG

I enabled extended debug, but do not see the options that you specify in the credentials window. I have attached what I do see.
Support
2016-10-28T13:15:38Z
I see, you are using an older version then. I would recommend to upgrade.
Henrik
Support
Black4cimt
2016-10-28T13:18:34Z
I was on 8.1

I'll upgrade to 8.2 and see what I get
Black4cimt
2016-10-28T13:28:43Z
I have upgraded to 8.2.0 and ensured that the aforementioned setting was selected in the credential settings.

Unfortunately, The behavior is the same.

What do the other boxes do? Suppress flow, Open Desktop, Override LT/LP, SeTcbPrivilege, and Duplicate Token? I currently have Suppress flow and OpenDesktop checked.
Support
2016-11-01T08:36:17Z
Originally Posted by: Black4cimt 

I have upgraded to 8.2.0 and ensured that the aforementioned setting was selected in the credential settings.

Unfortunately, The behavior is the same.

What do the other boxes do? Suppress flow, Open Desktop, Override LT/LP, SeTcbPrivilege, and Duplicate Token? I currently have Suppress flow and OpenDesktop checked.

They control detailed parts of execution. However, your problem is probably related to permissions specific to the exe you run. Normally, it is license issues or some environment or permissions details not shared between your environment and the VC environment.
Henrik
Support
Black4cimt
2016-11-01T12:27:28Z
How do I allow the VC environment to access more things? I am already specifying an administrative user in the credentials.
Support
2016-11-04T09:14:50Z
Originally Posted by: Black4cimt 

How do I allow the VC environment to access more things? I am already specifying an administrative user in the credentials.

There are two things that control this:

1. permissions of user
2. if you use a Credential

These two should be enough to configure access for everything.
Henrik
Support
Black4cimt
2016-11-04T12:28:55Z
As mentioned in the original post, the credential that we supply for the background job will execute the script manually or as a foreground task in VC just fine. Its only when we have VC try to run it as a background task that it fails. And all this works just fine on the old windows 2003 machine.

Scroll to Top