Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

dsjere
2013-04-08T14:43:55Z
Hello.

I suggested a feature concerning bank holidays some time ago. I haven't heard anything so I thought it could be time to raise the question again.

I would like to be able to set "bank holidays" as not beeing "work days".
Saturday and Sunday is considered as not beeing work days. It would help me a lot if I could choose certain dates as not beeing work days as well.

Example:
This year, the first of May is on a Wednesday. The first of May is also a bank holiday.
I have a job scheduled to run the first workday of every month. I would like that job to automatically run on the Thursday the second of may since that is the first workday of May.

If it is possible that would great.

I can work around this by having a list of bank holidays and set a condition that checks if todays date exists in that list, and if it does, wait for 24 hours and then try again. But I think it would be a nice feature to be able to choose a "work day calendar".

I hope my explanation is understandable.

Regards

/Jesse
Sponsor
Forum information
dsjere
2013-04-11T13:43:35Z
Another good thing with the suggested feature, for me, is that I download files from different sources with the variable {DATE(LastWorkday|yyyy-MM-dd)} each workday.

If I can mark certain dates as not beeing considered as workdays. The work flow would be much easier to manage.

It would be perfect, from my perspective to have:

a couple of separate empty calendars where I could mark dates of my choice.

an extra checkbox in Time trigger, Interval tab, for example called "do not run according to calendar", and be able to choose calendar from a drop list.

and another checkbox "do not consider as workdays"

Maybe this is not the best way of doing it. It might be either very easy to fix, or very difficult to fix, I don't know.
I'm just trying to push for the idea and also trying to explain what I mean.

Best regards

/Jesse
dsjere
2013-05-06T14:57:03Z
Hello again.

I would appreciate if you could let me know if this is something you are considering having a look at. Otherwise I have to start trying to make a work around.

Please let me know what you intend to do.

Best regards.

/Jesse
Support
2013-05-06T17:41:04Z
Definitely interesting but currently we have to much other things planned.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
dsjere
2013-05-10T11:53:06Z
Ok, thank you for your response.

/Jesse
Irakli Machabeli
2013-05-23T15:02:05Z
While I also looking for a bank holiday feature, implementing calendar that fits different markets might be cumbersome, even for US you have to create multiple calendars each for stock market , bond market and don't forget you are most of the time depending on a London too.
I would suggest defining class interface so that one can code its own calendar. Something similar to c# copy paste in conditions.
ErikC
2013-05-24T05:48:16Z
Hi,

You can also use the time exceptions. Make a list with all the bank holidays and connect this list to your jobs.
Thats what I did.

Regards
Erik

Uses Visualcron since 2006.
dsjere
2013-10-28T10:38:54Z
Hi.

The function described in this post is still something that would be helpful to me.

Is it within your plans to have a look at it?
Support
2013-10-28T10:54:04Z
I think the route we are proposing is to use the Time exceptions as those are written to do just this. I think it would be wrong to add exceptions in the Triggers when we have exceptions on a different level.

The question is how you want it to work differently.

One thing that we have thought about a lot is to have a shared repository among users so you can easily download, for example "Swedish holidays 2013" or maybe even subscribe to a list of time exceptions.
Henrik
Support
dsjere
2013-10-28T13:43:26Z
I see your Point.

What I would like is a function in time exeptions where I can choose a day to not be a workday. (like saturday and sunday is not workdays)

I like the "repository" idea.

Support
2013-10-29T08:55:22Z
Originally Posted by: dsjere 

I see your Point.

What I would like is a function in time exeptions where I can choose a day to not be a workday. (like saturday and sunday is not workdays)

I like the "repository" idea.

But you can select, generally, in Time exceptions, to not run on Saturdays and Sundays. Just go to Day->Choose weekdays.
Henrik
Support
dsjere
2013-10-29T09:43:03Z
Yes I know.

I'll try to explain with an example.

A job is supposed to run every month at the third workday. If one of the Days Before the third is a bank holiday and has a time exception, it doesn't effect the Count of the workdays. And it is run on the second workday

Example:
The first of january 2014 is on a wednesday. my job is supposed to run on the third day of the month wich this month is on tuesday the seventh in Sweden. If I set a time exception on the first it doesn't affect the counting of workdays and the job is run on friday the third, wich is the second workday of the month.

Best regards.

/Jesse
Support
2013-10-29T10:00:41Z
Originally Posted by: dsjere 

Yes I know.

I'll try to explain with an example.

A job is supposed to run every month at the third workday. If one of the Days Before the third is a bank holiday and has a time exception, it doesn't effect the Count of the workdays. And it is run on the second workday

Example:
The first of january 2014 is on a wednesday. my job is supposed to run on the third day of the month wich this month is on tuesday the seventh in Sweden. If I set a time exception on the first it doesn't affect the counting of workdays and the job is run on friday the third, wich is the second workday of the month.

Best regards.

/Jesse

So, if I am understanding you correctly;

1. it is ok for you to setup bank holidays in Time exceptions
2. if a time exception occurs you want the ability to run the next workday instead (unless it is a time exception there)?

Henrik
Support
dsjere
2013-10-29T10:04:44Z
Exactly so.

I'm sorry if I complicate things in my explanations. But now you got it.

/Jesse
dsjere
2013-11-21T14:33:05Z
Hello.

Have you looked in to this, is it possible to solve?
If so, is there a plan for doing it and in that case, when do you Think that will be?

/Jesse
Support
2013-11-21T15:16:26Z
The problem with this request is that it is both complex and specific (not a general request). When we decide to put something on the roadmap we weigh in factors like;

- how long does it take to do this?
- how general is the request == how many are interested in this functionality

Currently, it has pretty low priority because if we do this we want to do it right, and not just have a checkbox showing "Push to next workday" because that only solves your particular problem. It must work with all intervals etc.

If you really do need this feature now then please contact sales from the contact page and we can make an offer for you for custom development. Normally, we can offer development for fraction of the cost.
Henrik
Support
dsjere
2013-11-21T15:24:10Z
I understand.

I just needed to know so I can inform people on my side.

I have a work around so I'll manage.

Thanks for the information.

Best regards.

/Jesse
chavalit
2016-12-19T11:19:38Z
Hi
I need this function as well. This post is already 3 years ago and I would like to know if something has happened.

Best regards.
Chavalit
al355
2016-12-19T13:06:01Z
We have also asked for this and have a proposal from Visual Cron
chavalit
2016-12-20T10:20:09Z
@al355 Thanks for the information. Can you tell me more if it a customizing for you or will be included in the Visualcron standard. In which version will it come?
al355
2016-12-20T10:55:18Z