Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

keithdavis
2016-05-19T11:56:12Z
Having to name these manually causes all kinds of inconsistencies in the naming as well as problems when a trigger is changed, but the name is not or vice-versa! (Sometimes I change a name to a trigger but forget to change the actual trigger!)

Like if I select weekdays at 5AM:

Weekdays, 5AM

I'm not even picky as to the format as long as it says what selected.
Sponsor
Forum information
thomas
2016-05-19T12:26:35Z
I get your frustration, but that's close to impossible to program. What if you select every full moon, or every second hour between 07 and 16, or every date that matches some other event at your office. How are VC supposed to figure out what your pattern is? Don't want to be difficult but that will only work for the simplest of selections I think.

Create a job (using the API), that checks for naming inconsistencies, using the rules that apply to your workplace.
keithdavis
2016-05-19T12:29:51Z
So then have it work for only the simplest of selections - that's really all we use.

Weekdays - Time
Daily - Time
Weekly - Time
Daily - Frequency of time

We have had numerous instances of the name not matching the trigger and causing problems.
keithdavis
2016-05-19T12:31:31Z
Originally Posted by: thomas 

Create a job (using the API), that checks for naming inconsistencies, using the rules that apply to your workplace.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have tried writing a C# app that modifies VC, but it's so darn complicated and I don't have the bandwidth for that type of work right now (maybe ever). Or do you mean against the Web API? If so, I haven't look at that enough to figure it out.

thomas
2016-05-19T12:50:51Z
Ok if it's for the simplest cases then I get it.

Actually I haven't done this in VC, but I have similar jobs elsewhere. Basically a program that extracts all the names (jobs, tasks, triggers) of objects that you have naming rules for, and then match then against your rules.

When I think about it, it's going to be pretty time consuming to make. Just ignore my objections :)

keithdavis
2016-05-19T12:59:00Z
We have a dozen VC servers, with some of them having 50-100 jobs, all with the same basic types of triggers (save a few exceptions). What we really want is the master/server functionality that has been discussed over the years, but in the interim, changes like this would help us manage the volume.
keithdavis
2016-05-19T13:05:50Z
Implementation could be something like "if no name specified for the trigger and does not include certain complex options, use options for name".
Support
2016-05-19T14:59:58Z
We have some ideas about auto updating the simpliest ones.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Support
2016-05-19T15:01:12Z
al355
2016-05-19T17:23:16Z
Yes we also raised this as we have the same issue of sometimes forgetting to update a description or the description.
I can see why it is tricky to code so one idea could be to allow variables in the description and have variables which expose the trigger details
Support
2018-11-06T13:17:05Z
This has now been implemented in latest beta:

https://www.visualcron.c....aspx?g=posts&t=8121 
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top