Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

plotnd
2017-07-08T14:20:49Z
I am currently using my visualcron trial, and am debating purchasing a full license. There are a few simple capabilities I need to know are possible before I commit. This is one of them:

I have a network drive I am watching for the creation of a new folder. Lets call it 'Stan*' where, the wildcard is a number (Stan1, Stan2...etc). This folder has a full subfolder structure, and specifically named files. I want to trigger on the creation of a new Stan* folder and wait for it to be fully populated before starting my job (in this case, backing up that folder). However, VC doesn't seem to trigger on folder creation, only file creation inside of that folder. I can aim the trigger at one of the files within the folder structure and have it trigger. There are a few complications however;
(A) how do I make sure it only triggers if the super-folder is indeed Stan*. For example, if I trigger off of the creation of "readme.txt", I will trigger off of all folders that get a readme.txt file. I only want the ones matching the regular expression Stan*, I may have a set of folders called Mark* that also contain readmes that I do not want to copy.
(B) I only want to copy the folder structure from the Stan* folder on down. Namely, if readme.txt is in the subfolder "\Stan1\documentation\readme.txt", how do I copy everything from Stan1 down, including the entire subfolder structure? This is important, since I am not triggering off of the creation of Stan1, which would make this easier, but off of some expected file within that folder.
(C) In the same vein, I want to SUPPRESS copying until the folder is done with its own internal processing. While that is going on, the folder will be named something like "Stan* InProgress*. I want to ignore the folder until that InProgress name goes away.

All of these are possible to declare using regular expressions, but in terms of VC triggering and then passing the correct folder name to the copy command, I have no idea where to start. There may be a way better way of doing this, but since this type of scheduling is my main reason for wanting to use VC, its really going to impact whether I buy a license.

Cheers in advance,
Dan
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2017-07-11T19:33:55Z
a) use several file triggers - one for each folder you want to watch
b) use the TriggerFolder Variable, it will give you the folder to where the specific file was created
c) you could add a Wait Task as first Task
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top