Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Fola
  •  Fola
  • No customer Topic Starter
2018-05-09T14:40:31Z
Is there a version of the API assemblies that is built in either .Net 4.6 or .Net standard and, if not, is there a plan to move to either framework in the near future?
We are moving our code over to .Net standard and, as a minimum, would need the Cron API assemblies to be in .Net 4.6.1 - (ideally 4.6.2).
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2018-05-10T09:18:12Z
Currently only 4.5.2. But what problems are you having with this exactly?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Fola
  •  Fola
2018-06-06T09:36:07Z
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question.
We are in the midst of upgrading our libraries to .Net core & .Net standard and it has taken a while but we can now definitively say that we are having problems loading your Api assemblies (VisualCron.dll & VisualCronAPI.dll). There are no compile time errors but your types cannot be referenced at run time.

Do you have any pointers regarding how to get your API to work in this sort of situation and are you aware of other users having similar problems?
Access to working sample would also be appreciated.

Regards
Fola
Support
2018-06-06T12:29:52Z
Originally Posted by: Fola 

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question.
We are in the midst of upgrading our libraries to .Net core & .Net standard and it has taken a while but we can now definitively say that we are having problems loading your Api assemblies (VisualCron.dll & VisualCronAPI.dll). There are no compile time errors but your types cannot be referenced at run time.

Do you have any pointers regarding how to get your API to work in this sort of situation and are you aware of other users having similar problems?
Access to working sample would also be appreciated.

Regards
Fola

There is a sample project in .NET in the installation folder / API. What is the difference between your product and that project?
Henrik
Support
Fola
  •  Fola
2018-06-06T14:58:07Z
When I said sample I didn't mean sample code for how to use the API - I meant an example of how to use your API from a .Net Core application or .Net standard library.

The sample that is shipped with your installer is a .net 4.5.2 Framework project and is not what this issue is about - I was under the impression that the title of this post made that clear.

Please feel free to refer this query to someone with a technical background

Regards
Fola
Support
2018-06-06T15:17:15Z

When I said sample I didn't mean sample code for how to use the API - I meant an example of how to use your API from a .Net Core application or .Net standard library.

The sample that is shipped with your installer is a .net 4.5.2 Framework project and is not what this issue is about - I was under the impression that the title of this post made that clear.

Please feel free to refer this query to someone with a technical background

Regards
Fola

Sorry, it was not clear for me at first. Portable I am sure it will not work because it is very limited. I did create a .NET Standard project and reference the two dlls VisualCronAPI and VisualCron.dll without a problem.
Henrik
Support
Fola
  •  Fola
2018-06-07T08:09:47Z
Hello Henrik,

As I said in my previous post, referencing your assemblies from a .Net standard library does not give any compile-time errors.
The issue comes about at run-time when you are executing a host application - in our case a .Net Core console application.
If you already have a test project setup to demonstrate this at your end, I suggest extending it by adding a .Net core executable program that references your .Net standard library (which in turn is referencing the VC API assemblies).

I am very keen to find out how you get on.

Regards
Fola
Support
2018-06-07T11:18:56Z

Hello Henrik,

As I said in my previous post, referencing your assemblies from a .Net standard library does not give any compile-time errors.
The issue comes about at run-time when you are executing a host application - in our case a .Net Core console application.
If you already have a test project setup to demonstrate this at your end, I suggest extending it by adding a .Net core executable program that references your .Net standard library (which in turn is referencing the VC API assemblies).

I am very keen to find out how you get on.

Regards
Fola

Before investigating further on this - what runtime error do you get?

Henrik
Support
Fola
  •  Fola
2018-06-07T12:16:19Z
image (1).png

This is the error we get. This has been replicated in at least two scenarios.
Support
2018-06-07T17:39:09Z

image (1).png

This is the error we get. This has been replicated in at least two scenarios.

Thanks, unless you can't add that library in .NET Standard we can confirm that it is not compatible with that. We will see if we can add support for this in the future. I am moving this topic to Feature requests forum.
Henrik
Support
Scroll to Top