Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

jrtwynam
2019-06-26T18:10:32Z
Hi,

I just opened the VC client, and found that around 45 of my 50-or-so jobs had magically vanished. I saw no pattern as to why VC decided to keep the 5 jobs that it kept, and I can see no reason why it would decide to delete these other 45 jobs. Thankfully, I take a daily backup at 11pm so I have the data as of last night, so the only thing I lost was the 3 hours I spent this morning figuring out another automation.

Why would VC suddenly delete some jobs? I checked the log, but all it shows under the job name is "not found" where it should be referencing a specific job.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2019-06-28T13:09:57Z
Originally Posted by: jrtwynam 

Hi,

I just opened the VC client, and found that around 45 of my 50-or-so jobs had magically vanished. I saw no pattern as to why VC decided to keep the 5 jobs that it kept, and I can see no reason why it would decide to delete these other 45 jobs. Thankfully, I take a daily backup at 11pm so I have the data as of last night, so the only thing I lost was the 3 hours I spent this morning figuring out another automation.

Why would VC suddenly delete some jobs? I checked the log, but all it shows under the job name is "not found" where it should be referencing a specific job.

We would like to see the server_startup.txt along with log_serverDATE.txt from the day before and after to see what happened. Also, what version are you using?

Please send to support@visualcron.com
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
michaelhum
2019-06-28T17:10:10Z
Originally Posted by: Support 

Hi,

We would like to see the server_startup.txt along with log_serverDATE.txt from the day before and after to see what happened. Also, what version are you using?

Please send to support@visualcron.com

I've experienced that behaviour too (still running version 8.36 on some machines and 8.51 on a couple of machines). This happens to me when I am forced to "crash" the PC/server I'm running. VisualCron is not the cause of why I need to "crash" the machines, its another application I'm running. I define "crash" as, I did not properly "exit" the VisualCron client, i just rebooted the machine.
I suspect, the act of "crashing" the machine corrupts some VisualCron "cache" file. I resort to going to a VisualCron backup to restore the jobs.

jrtwynam
2019-07-02T18:33:24Z
Hi,

It happened again this morning. I have no idea what's causing the virtual machine to crash, but the only thing running on it aside from Windows and its various components is VC. It does seem like it has something to do with email triggers though - we receive a file from a 3rd party company through email. For the past couple of years, it's been coming once every 10 minutes or so, which has been working fine. Recently, something has changed on their end, and they've been sending us 20 emails all at exactly the same time. My VC job simply detaches the file to a specified folder and then moves/renames it in a different folder. I do have the option "overwrite if existing" turned on in the move task, but I wonder if VC is somehow getting confused because this issue seems to only happen right after we receive these 20 files.

I've attached the requested logs.

server_startup.zip (892kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
jrtwynam
2019-07-02T18:41:24Z
I forgot to mention that I'm running version 8.3.5. I've been afraid to upgrade because I've read a few posts from people saying that jobs that were working perfectly in one version stopped working in a newer version. Also, I had been afraid that I'd have trouble restoring the jobs after uninstalling and reinstalling, but this issue has taught me that that's actually really easy.
Support
2019-07-03T09:05:28Z

Hi,

It happened again this morning. I have no idea what's causing the virtual machine to crash, but the only thing running on it aside from Windows and its various components is VC. It does seem like it has something to do with email triggers though - we receive a file from a 3rd party company through email. For the past couple of years, it's been coming once every 10 minutes or so, which has been working fine. Recently, something has changed on their end, and they've been sending us 20 emails all at exactly the same time. My VC job simply detaches the file to a specified folder and then moves/renames it in a different folder. I do have the option "overwrite if existing" turned on in the move task, but I wonder if VC is somehow getting confused because this issue seems to only happen right after we receive these 20 files.

I've attached the requested logs.

server_startup.zip (892kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

Unfortunately the log file just stops logging at one point so we do not see the full startup. I strongly recommend upgrading. Better logging, bug fixes etc.
Henrik
Support
jrtwynam
2019-07-08T18:29:15Z
I noticed something recently that I can only assume is related to this. I have a number of jobs that have tasks that use flows something like "on start, if <job variable> is <some value> then go to task <task id>". I use this to mimic "if/then" statements to make the logic easier to understand when just looking at a list of tasks in a job. However, when I re-imported all my jobs from the backup, the task referenced in the flow is blank, even though I know that it wasn't blank before. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the export or the import, but it caused several of my jobs to stop working.
Support
2019-07-09T08:38:40Z

I noticed something recently that I can only assume is related to this. I have a number of jobs that have tasks that use flows something like "on start, if <job variable> is <some value> then go to task <task id>". I use this to mimic "if/then" statements to make the logic easier to understand when just looking at a list of tasks in a job. However, when I re-imported all my jobs from the backup, the task referenced in the flow is blank, even though I know that it wasn't blank before. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the export or the import, but it caused several of my jobs to stop working.

If it is blank it (the Task if that was selected) no longer exist within that Job and a new Task has to be selected.
Henrik
Support
jrtwynam
2019-07-09T17:30:52Z
The task does still exist, though. I can see it in the list of tasks in the job, and it also appears in the drop-down list where I select which task to jump to. What that tells me is that somehow the task ID has changed, which also points to an issue with either the import or export.
Scroll to Top