Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Peter Larsen
2019-05-21T12:57:08Z
Hi,

i have a job where VisualCron show it is as running,, but in reality the job has finished long time ago.
I am not able to stop VisualCron from showing it as running, unless I stop the server and restart the service.
The problem is that when it is happening, the job just hang.
I currently have two jobs doing that - both jobs are of the type Execute.
It looks randomly - most of the time it is okay, and suddenly it fails.

Any help would be appreciated.

VC.PNG
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2019-05-22T09:16:56Z
Which version are you running now?

If you disconnect and connect client - what happens?

Are these long or short running Tasks?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Peter Larsen
2019-05-22T10:46:58Z
The version is 8.5.0 running on server 2016.
Disconnecting the client is not enough, I also have to restart the service.
The job runs for approx 30 seconds per every minute.

I have tried to stop job, stop task and reset job, but nothing seems to have any affect (remember that the windows process, started by the VisualCron-task, has been completed long time ago).

Here are two scenarios:

1)Sometimes, the job and the task continuing showing RUNNING, but is it still possible to run job again- so imagine this:

* Executing Time shows it has been running for an hour or so (both for the job and the task)
* You RUN the job again and immediately the Executing Time start to count from zero and the job is running normally.
* When the task completes, the Executing Time goes back to count from where it was before and looks like is has now been running for more than an hour.

This strange behavior cannot be stopped, unless I restart the windows service.

2)Usually the job appears to be running (and the process behind has stopped long time ago).

* Executing Time shows it has been running for an hour or so (both for the job and the task)
* The job cannot be stopped or started again - it is just locked.

The same goes for this behavior - it cannot be stopped, unless the windows service is restarted.

barefootguru
2019-05-23T21:45:05Z
I struck this, it seemed like a display issue: the job had finished but the progress bar was stuck around 99%. The next time the job ran (time schedule) it corrected itself.

8.5.1 for client & service
Peter Larsen
2019-05-27T09:13:52Z
Originally Posted by: barefootguru 

I struck this, it seemed like a display issue: the job had finished but the progress bar was stuck around 99%. The next time the job ran (time schedule) it corrected itself.

It may very well be a UI issue as well, but is also usually prevent the job from running again.

/Peter
Support
2019-05-27T09:23:43Z
Originally Posted by: barefootguru 

This seems like a different issue. First time you run the Task it does not know about execution time so it goes to 99% during a minute. Next time it is based on the last execution.
Henrik
Support
Support
2019-05-27T09:24:39Z
Originally Posted by: Peter Larsen 

The version is 8.5.0 running on server 2016.
Disconnecting the client is not enough, I also have to restart the service.
The job runs for approx 30 seconds per every minute.

I have tried to stop job, stop task and reset job, but nothing seems to have any affect (remember that the windows process, started by the VisualCron-task, has been completed long time ago).

Here are two scenarios:

1)Sometimes, the job and the task continuing showing RUNNING, but is it still possible to run job again- so imagine this:

* You RUN the job again and immediately the Executing Time start to count from zero and the job is running normally.
* When the task completes, the Executing Time goes back to count from where it was before and looks like is has now been running for more than an hour.

This strange behavior cannot be stopped, unless I restart the windows service.

2)Usually the job appears to be running (and the process behind has stopped long time ago).

* The job cannot be stopped or started again - it is just locked.

The same goes for this behavior - it cannot be stopped, unless the windows service is restarted.

If you go to Running Jobs issue and located the process id - can you double check if it is still running?
Henrik
Support
Peter Larsen
2019-05-27T11:38:38Z
Thanks Henrik,

No it is not running anymore.
The actual process has finished, but VisualCron don't seem to have detected it.

Peter
Support
2019-05-27T12:45:48Z

Thanks Henrik,

No it is not running anymore.
The actual process has finished, but VisualCron don't seem to have detected it.

Peter

So, we had another customer with a similar issue and we are trying to understand how this can be reproduced. Could you do the following:

1. turn on Extended debugging in Server settings
2. turn on Task debugging in the Task
3. next time it happens please send us log_serverDATE along with the following:
- screenshot of the Task Execute settings
- the time it happened
- the Job name
Henrik
Support
Peter Larsen
2019-05-28T07:27:02Z
Thanks Henrik,

I haven't seen this error since last week, which is really strange because it was happening many times before that.
And no, I haven't been upgrading :-)
To be honest, I am not to enthusiastic about upgrading after my experience re NOT being able to export a job in one version and importing it into another version (have been mentioning it in the question: "Variable ConnectionString fail as text").

When I see the error again, I will be happy about sending you more information about it.

Thanks.
Support
2019-05-28T09:30:43Z

Thanks Henrik,

I haven't seen this error since last week, which is really strange because it was happening many times before that.
And no, I haven't been upgrading :-)
To be honest, I am not to enthusiastic about upgrading after my experience re NOT being able to export a job in one version and importing it into another version (have been mentioning it in the question: "Variable ConnectionString fail as text").

When I see the error again, I will be happy about sending you more information about it.

Thanks.

About upgrade and import/export this problem rarely happens. 8.0.2 was just too old and too much has been changed.
Henrik
Support
Peter Larsen
2019-06-20T09:18:29Z
Hi Henrik,
This issue, with jobs that appears as be running for hours, has happened again.
This time I did see a funny thing, perhaps that can help you to find the cause.

Two jobs was running for too long.
Went to VisualCron, and saw the problem as described earlier in this thread.
This time I noticed, that the timing was going crazy (image below).
(notice that next run time is prior to the real time - that should not be possible)
BeforeRestartCut.png

After a restart of the server, things went back to normal:
AfterRestartCut.png

Maybe this can help you with the ongoing investigation...
/Peter
Support
2019-06-20T22:32:45Z
We have made some tweaks in this build (you only need to update Client). Can you test if it is working better? https://www.visualcron.c....aspx?g=posts&t=9532 
Henrik
Support
Zenuser
2019-08-22T05:27:48Z
We are having the same issue as well, we have some jobs that run every five minutes, (the job finishes in ~10 seconds) but because visualcron can't detect that it is done it stops the 5 minute updates from running again for another ~30 minutes, until if finally realises that the task is done.

we are running version 8.5.3. This problem only started happening once we decided to upgrade the visualcron version from the very old one we were previously running (8.3.2)
Support
2019-08-22T08:49:16Z
Originally Posted by: Zenuser 

We are having the same issue as well, we have some jobs that run every five minutes, (the job finishes in ~10 seconds) but because visualcron can't detect that it is done it stops the 5 minute updates from running again for another ~30 minutes, until if finally realises that the task is done.

we are running version 8.5.3. This problem only started happening once we decided to upgrade the visualcron version from the very old one we were previously running (8.3.2)

I've replied to your email - let's continue our troubleshooting via that channel instead of forums.
Michael
Support

sspina
2020-02-05T11:15:56Z
Hello,

we have te same problem; the issue seems started after upgrade to 8.5.5 version.

Did you find any solution?

This behavior is causing us a lot of problems.

Thanks.
Support
2020-02-05T13:44:48Z
Originally Posted by: sspina 

Hello,

we have te same problem; the issue seems started after upgrade to 8.5.5 version.

Did you find any solution?

This behavior is causing us a lot of problems.

Thanks.

Would it be possible for you to upgrade to 9.1 (in a test environment) and see if you can reproduce this issue there? I can provide you with a trial extension code for that purpose if needed. Also, you can mail us at support@visualcron.com with more information, screenshots of your task settings, what task it is etc.
Michael
Support

ssahal
2020-06-19T05:56:20Z
I have a similar problem in version 9.2.5 where in a SQL task is running for about 24 hours. Ideally the SQL runs in about less than 5 secs on any other tool.

Something to be noted is that this SQL doesn't return any data i.e. 0 rows. Could you please let me know what could be the problem here?

Support
2020-06-19T08:29:09Z
Originally Posted by: ssahal 

I have a similar problem in version 9.2.5 where in a SQL task is running for about 24 hours. Ideally the SQL runs in about less than 5 secs on any other tool.

Something to be noted is that this SQL doesn't return any data i.e. 0 rows. Could you please let me know what could be the problem here?

Hi,

Please mail support@visualcron.com with details of this, including screenshots of your task/how you set it up, the output/any error output you get
Michael
Support

Scroll to Top