Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

devonway
2011-04-15T19:38:45Z
We copy jobs between our production and test servers often. With version 5.4.8, when we copy a job from test area to production area, it gets the same JobID which causes a problem when another production job has the same JobID and gets overwritten. We just had a critical production event due to an existing job getting overwritten after a copy from test area.

It would be great if in the newer version the JobID would not get copied as well when we copy jobs between servers.
Sponsor
Forum information
Gary_W
2018-05-09T14:40:56Z
We just got to the bottom of this same issue in version 8.2.9. I thought I was going crazy!

I would like to make a formal request that when copying a job/task from one server to another to check the jobID/taskID on the target server and if it exists already, warn the user and show them the job/task name that has the same ID. Give the option of overwriting or copy with a new ID.

I just realized this scenario could happen on an import as well.

Thank you
michaelhum
2018-06-02T20:23:16Z
Originally Posted by: Gary_W 

We just got to the bottom of this same issue in version 8.2.9. I thought I was going crazy!

I would like to make a formal request that when copying a job/task from one server to another to check the jobID/taskID on the target server and if it exists already, warn the user and show them the job/task name that has the same ID. Give the option of overwriting or copy with a new ID.

I just realized this scenario could happen on an import as well.

Thank you

This is a "must have" enhancement. I 100% support this idea of having a "warning of duplicate job/task IDs" with the option to over write or create a new unique ID. Also would be nice to have the make the task id unique when a variable is use in the task that is copied).

ErikC
2018-06-04T06:34:45Z
Hi,

I never encoutered this, but I think this should be handled internally and not give the user a popup of what so ever.
If you create new jobs/tasks the server makes a unique id for it, that's normal behaviour. Copying/cloning should handled by the server accourdingly.
The end user shouldn't have to bother about ithis.

Regards,
Erik

Uses Visualcron since 2006.
Gary_W
2018-06-05T17:13:08Z
Hi Erik, I asked for the option of keeping or overwriting the ID as some users have a "master" server where jobs/tasks are created, then they deploy from there to production servers. If a same ID is encountered, then that would indicate an issue on the target server that they may need to be warned about. That's why I would like to see the existing ID and job name.

How about a compromise of this action being controlled by a setting in the options? I for one would want to see if there is a dup ID.

Thanks for your input! Discussion is good.
Gary_W
2018-09-19T18:45:01Z
I just got burned by this again! It was my own fault as I didn't check jobid's before copying the job from one server to the other. :-/

Is this being seriously considered? I had to manually recreate the job and each task. Not good.
Scroll to Top