Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

zna
  •  zna
  • No customer Topic Starter
2011-07-04T14:20:26Z
Hello,

We have version 5.7.4 on a number of servers and have all of them configured to use AD-integration.

What we would really need for at least 1 server, but what would be very usefull for most, is the possibility to add a group (instead of user) in the permissions window and assign permissions to that group.
Users come and go and having to wait for a user to log on and subsequently assigning permissions to that user is not only cumbersome, it also posses a security risk.

Are there any plans to incorporate this in future versions?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Forum information
bbusse
2011-07-04T18:11:05Z
I was thinking the same thing. I like the idea of adding a group, but when they first log in and are given full administrative privelages until I lock it down, i have to still add people manually as I do not want any of our 'Helpdesk' folks to have full admin rights, yet I also dont want to have to manually add ID's and remove them as turnover in the Helpdesk occurrs.

One other thing which goes along with your suggestion is that I'd prefer if I added a group, such as 'Domain Admins' that if an ID was ever removed from the 'Domain Admins' group, ther permissions would be removed from VC as they're no longer in the group. I haven't tested this, but i'd assume based on the way the ID's pop in, that there would have to be manual cleanup if/when someone changes jobs/roles in a company and is no longer in one of the groups.

So, as zna suggests, I'd like to see JUST the group listed and not individual users, with the ability to adjust permissions based on group. This way people that leave do not have left-over entries in the User list.

Thoughts?

Brian
bbusse
2011-07-18T13:29:31Z
bump :)

Were there any plans in the future to handle this sort of request? (should I post it somewhere else?)

Now that Active Directory is integrated on our new servers (just installed latest version, previous was 4.6.17 !!!) we really want to take full advantage of the benefits, but as implemented it'll still be a pain to manage. We have potentially 20 or so helpdesk folks plus 2 admin teams, etc.... and with the exception of my team, turnover happens often enough to be really beneficial to not have to manage individual permissions.
Support
2011-07-20T11:43:58Z
I will move this topic to Feature requests forum. We will start a rework on permissions soon and will take your comments into account. Thanks.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
bbusse
2011-07-21T00:35:07Z
Thanks Henrik 🙂 Still amazes me how you can keep on top of things and communicate with your customers so quickly 🙂

Brian
Support
2012-06-07T09:52:29Z
Changes on group permissions and permission at job level has been done in this version:

http://www.visualcron.co....aspx?g=posts&t=2505 
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
bbusse
2012-06-14T14:40:48Z
Thanks Henrik! i'm downloading the 6.1.2 Beta right now and will post back any feedback related to group permissons. I do like the WebClient I saw mentioned also. That is great, as it would eliminate the need to have folks installing the client for basic functions. (One less thing to update on a users PC)
Scroll to Top