Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

osirisja
2012-05-21T11:58:20Z
Hi all

I am looking for any suggestions to enable a user interface task for Visual Cron. Basically I want a job to run, but to 'prompt' a user for a specific value, i.e. a Company Name, and pass that back in to a variable via STDOUT, i.e. an interactive windows form.

I think Henrik was talking about introducing this functionality some months ago along with a new notifications 'Pop-up' feature.

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers

Andy

Sponsor
Forum information
ErikC
2012-05-21T12:18:10Z
Hi,

The way we are using VC is without user intervention.
A prompt for user input is for us not an enrichment.
Our automatic processes will halt this way.

Regards,
Erik
Uses Visualcron since 2006.
osirisja
2012-05-21T13:03:50Z
Hi Erik

Yes, I had considered this however I have concluded that for us there are many more advantages to having this feature than disadvantages - particularly if there is a timeout and notification capability built in to the Form.

As an example, in a production print operation (which is primarily where we are using VC), prompting an operator for a page count at the end of a print run serves two purposes:

1. Allows the ERP system to be updated via SQL with used stock and accounting information.
2. Allows the next step of the process to be instigated (e.g. Print a summary report, issue notifications to helpdesk and customers, and move the process to the mailing room)

Another example I have been working on, using AutoIT to build an executable form which is called by VC, is creating an FTP User Account if one doesn't exist (decided by a condition and a LIST task in VC). The form pops-up and allows the administrator to enter the customer name, customer abbreviation, email and reference, then generate a random user-id and password. These attributes are then returned to VC, written to a SQLite database, and an email sent from VC to the customer with their new account details.

Considering it is our intention to fully automate the entire end-to-end production process as much as possible, inevitably there are manual steps that will be required to be helped along in some way.

Yes, we are pushing the envelope with our use of VC, perhaps moving in to the realms of Business Process and Workflow, but hey, why not? VC is proving to be such a powerful and feature rich tool, IMHO it can be used for many business related purposes and most importantly, keeps our supported software stack to a minimum.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers

Andy
ErikC
2012-05-21T13:08:48Z
Hi,

Yeas with operators in place, popups may help.
You might want this as a checkbox in the SET variable task: Prompt user

Regards,
Erik
Uses Visualcron since 2006.
Support
2012-05-21T15:19:38Z
We will probably start developing the Popup Task which will allow feedback to the end user and record feedback from end user. Maybe not optimal for background automation but in more like when you test something or if you run Jobs manually - and maybe for your specific case too.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
osirisja
2012-05-22T07:08:49Z
Thanks Henrik - sounds ideal so I'm looking forward to seeing the functionality :-)

Cheers

Andy
Scroll to Top