Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

bbusse
2014-03-31T13:30:52Z
I've never ran into this, but Server 2012 R2 x64 is obviously new in our environment.

I have the latest beta installed (and also tried 7.1.4, but no older than that) on my system and this MAY be due to some of the strict security standards we have, but I ran into a permissions issue with the 'VC-Settings.zip' file being automatically saved via the daily backup task.

Backup File / Default Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualCron\backup\VC-Settings.zip'

As far as I can tell, the VisualCron Service, running as the 'LOCAL SYSTEM' account, temporarily writes the backup/export data to C:\Windows\TEMP\VisualCron\

C:\Windows\TEMP\ is not where i have my TMP and TEMP environment variables set on the system, so it must be hardcoded to use the %windir%\Temp\VisualCron path.

The problem is, My Id (even though i'm domain admin/local admin) for whatever reason didn't have permission to C:\Windows\TEMP\VisualCron\ so when the temporary backup/export data is written there, and presumably moved into the Default Path of C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualCron\backup, The VC-Settings.zip file inherited the permissions of the C:\Windows\TEMP\VisualCron\ folder, which meant I could no use the zip file to restore data. I easily overcame this by taking ownership of the file. And ultimately gave myself permissions to c:\Windows\TEMP\ and all subfolders.

I was curious if anyone else had ran into this. I only have the one system that is running 2012 R2 that I can test on that is not 'in production' and those are running the VC service as a domain service account, not Local System... so it's not a valid test (i don't have the problem on those).

I guess what i'm wondering is, would it not be better to write that sort of 'temp' data into a temp folder that VisualCron owns (such as in the Program Files\VisualCron\ directory, or is there a reason for the C:\Windows\Temp\ ?

I'm probably one of the only people that'll run into this, but it struck me as odd as it's the first time i've ran into it, and is something with our security in 2012 and nothing to do with VC itself, other than it writing using the local system (has permission) and then moving the file to a folder i 'should' have access to only now the file is locked down.

Brian
Sponsor
Forum information
rprastein
2018-02-01T03:33:43Z
I realize this is an old post, but it is eerily similar to an issue we are having with version 8.2.4.
I am admin, and I have no trouble exporting VC-Settings.zip to the default backup location on my laptop (we both run the client from our laptops).
My co-worker, however, finds that when he exports to the default backup location, nothing happens - no file is saved to the backup directory. If he chooses "Custom location" but leaves the location at the default value, he is able to export with no problem.

Now, I am an admin on VC, and my colleague has some restrictions on his access. Is this more likely an issue with the permissions I have granted him in VisualCron, or more likely an issue with the permissions he has set on his laptop? We both have Windows 7 Enterprise and we both have admin rights on our laptops, so we can tweak the permissions if required.

Thanks,

Rebeccah
Support
2018-02-01T10:36:50Z
Originally Posted by: rprastein 

I realize this is an old post, but it is eerily similar to an issue we are having with version 8.2.4.
I am admin, and I have no trouble exporting VC-Settings.zip to the default backup location on my laptop (we both run the client from our laptops).
My co-worker, however, finds that when he exports to the default backup location, nothing happens - no file is saved to the backup directory. If he chooses "Custom location" but leaves the location at the default value, he is able to export with no problem.

Now, I am an admin on VC, and my colleague has some restrictions on his access. Is this more likely an issue with the permissions I have granted him in VisualCron, or more likely an issue with the permissions he has set on his laptop? We both have Windows 7 Enterprise and we both have admin rights on our laptops, so we can tweak the permissions if required.

Thanks,

Rebeccah

I am not sure why the first post was not answered but I hope it is resolved.

What you can do is to set a Credential in the Task. You *might* need Load profile option if it is local permission settings. Also, make sure that the user that runs VisualCron is the SYSTEM account.

Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
rprastein
2018-02-01T17:03:28Z
Thanks, Henrik.

VisualCron on the server is running as the System account. This is not an issue with a Task, this is the user going into the GUI and clicking File, Export Settings, and following the steps there. If he chooses to save to the default backup location, nothing happens. If he selects to backup to a custom location, without changing the path from the default path that is pre-populated, it exports fine.

I'm wondering if I missed a setting in his User Permissions. He has two roles, one of which should be able to import and export settings without any restrictions.

Rebeccah

Support
2018-02-01T18:30:38Z
I think it might be affected how he starts the application. What if he close the application and go to installation folder and click "Run as Administrator" on VisualCronClient.exe?
Henrik
Support
rprastein
2018-02-01T18:42:28Z
I'll ask him to check, but we both have admin rights on our laptop, and I don't do anything special when I start VisualCron. I click the tray icon - I'm not sure if he does or not.
rprastein
2018-02-01T19:03:46Z
My colleague just tried starting VisualCron with "Run as Administrator" (he starts it from the Start menu), but it didn't help.
rprastein
2018-02-01T19:27:59Z
I also asked him to try starting up the tray client and running it from there, and that didn't help either.
Support
2018-02-05T09:21:05Z
It is hard to say. Someone has hardened his account security some way. This is not the default behavior.
Henrik
Support
rprastein
2018-02-05T17:57:58Z
OK, then I will have him focus his attention on his Windows OS security.
Scroll to Top