Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

thomas
2017-02-21T07:58:45Z
Hi

I would like a checkbox that says 'Inherit Error Output' in this task:

Capture.PNG

If i run a parent job (Job/Task control) that calls some other job, I want the errors to propagate back to the caller (parent), as is standard in most programming languages. Today, if I call a job through the Job/Task control, and the child job fails, I get the following message:

Exception in Task: Child Job failed with exit code: 77777

The admins get these messages on mail and so on, and this is not a terribly useful message as you have to log in to find the actual message. Of course we could have the child job send emails instead, but that's a messy way of doing things in my view.

Thomas
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2017-02-21T09:43:38Z
Right now, Jobs by themselves have no output. That is why you only receive exit code. If you use Run Task option you will receive the output. But I agree that maybe the Job, in the future, should have output to clarify.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
thomas
2017-02-21T10:12:00Z
Ok thats fine. I believe errors/exceptions are different and should always propagate/bounce back to the caller.

Imagine if you have you job, that consists of 5 tasks. Those 5 tasks are Job/Task control tasks that call other jobs. So basically have one parent job, and 5 child jobs. If the child jobs deal with the exceptions themselves, then you have a problem. You can no longer have error notifications in the parent job, because you will end sending two emails. One with the actual error message from the child, and one email from the parent saying 'Child Job failed'. If you don't deal with errors in the parent, then how is it supposed to control the flow of the remaing 4 tasks?

al355
2017-02-21T10:28:54Z
Yes I agree with this request, we end up getting 2 emails for each failure at the moment
Scroll to Top