Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

keithdavis
2018-02-13T22:09:23Z
I've asked this before, so I'm sure the answer is the same, but it's been a while. I have a job that I need to run on 12 different servers. Copying the job to each server is easy, but I have to back and re-assign our Notification to each Job and Task, that's 12 Job and 24 tasks that I have to manually assign the error notification to because that always shows as 'not found'.

Is there no better way to do this?
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2018-02-14T19:50:49Z
How do you copy the Job?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
keithdavis
2018-02-14T20:50:33Z
Connect to 2 different servers in 1 client. Right-click and choose Copy Job 'X' on one server, then move to the server I want to, Choose Paste Job 'X'.
keithdavis
2018-03-19T12:41:26Z
Is there a better way to copy a job?
thomas
2018-03-19T16:46:10Z
If you export settings, and then import selected jobs, the notifications should be populated, If I remember correctly.
keithdavis
2018-03-19T17:33:03Z
Import selected jobs? I thought I had to import all the jobs. I'll test and see.
keithdavis
2018-03-19T17:36:51Z
Ok, see where I can import specific jobs, but no, that does not work still:

Capture.JPG
Nvious1
2018-03-19T23:30:33Z
Notifications are given ids per server likely. You probably need to export not only the specific job but the notification and the connection of the SMTP instance as well for it to reliably work.
keithdavis
2018-03-20T15:08:03Z
I figured you would say that - so that means every time I import those jobs, I'll end up with "duplicate" notifications (over time, that could be dozens as we copy the same jobs to all servers regularly).

We basically have 3-5 of the same Notifications on every server (Task Error, Job Error, Job Complete, etc...).

So basically here is still no way to put the same jobs on all servers without a lot of effort (and lots of room for mistakes, inconsistencies). Sigh.
keithdavis
2018-03-29T15:46:11Z
Seems odd to me that this is not a more common complaint. Are we the only client with more than a couple of servers? Or maybe most people don't run many of the same jobs on each machine? What are we doing wrong that makes this an issue for us that is not for other clients?
Support
2018-03-30T11:20:36Z
Originally Posted by: keithdavis 

Seems odd to me that this is not a more common complaint. Are we the only client with more than a couple of servers? Or maybe most people don't run many of the same jobs on each machine? What are we doing wrong that makes this an issue for us that is not for other clients?

I am not sure if I see the problem. If you copy the Jobs and Notifications from one machine to another they will follow each other and be linked. Same Notification Id and same Job Id will be used on both. I am not sure how your situation is different?
Henrik
Support
Support
2018-03-30T11:22:46Z
That being said (in our last post) we do have some plans of having the possiblity to subscribe to Global objects (and Jobs) from a Master server. So if you update a Connection on a master server it will be synced down to any slaves.
Henrik
Support
keithdavis
2018-03-30T11:57:12Z
Originally Posted by: Support 

I am not sure if I see the problem. If you copy the Jobs and Notifications from one machine to another they will follow each other and be linked. Same Notification Id and same Job Id will be used on both. I am not sure how your situation is different?

So every Job uses an Email Notification called "Job Error" and every Task uses an Email Notification called Task Error - this way, we only have to maintain 2 Email Notifications per server (we actually have a few more, but when adding, rebuilding or modifying all servers this configuration reduces the work and creates more consistent notifications).

If we copy Jobs and Notifications, then every time we do that, every server will end up with a new "Job Error" and "Task Error" Notification - not only over time does this mean there will be many duplicates (names), but that defeats the purpose when it comes to needing to update or edit these.
keithdavis
2018-03-30T11:58:32Z

That being said (in our last post) we do have some plans of having the possiblity to subscribe to Global objects (and Jobs) from a Master server. So if you update a Connection on a master server it will be synced down to any slaves.

I'm aware of this, and in fact, I've started working on something of my own (a couple of times), but not made it very far. I know this is a daunting task and looking for interim ways to reduce what is a cumbersome process right now.
Support
2018-03-30T11:59:27Z

So every Job uses an Email Notification called "Job Error" and every Task uses an Email Notification called Task Error - this way, we only have to maintain 2 Email Notifications per server (we actually have a few more, but when adding, rebuilding or modifying all servers this configuration reduces the work and creates more consistent notifications).

If we copy Jobs and Notifications, then every time we do that, every server will end up with a new "Job Error" and "Task Error" Notification - not only over time does this mean there will be many duplicates (names), but that defeats the purpose when it comes to needing to update or edit these.

If you Copy a Job it will get a new Id. If you import it will remain the same.
Henrik
Support
keithdavis
2018-03-30T12:00:42Z
I'm talking about the Notifications - if we import these, we end up with multiple Notifications called "Task Error" and "Job Error".
Support
2018-03-30T12:09:38Z

I'm talking about the Notifications - if we import these, we end up with multiple Notifications called "Task Error" and "Job Error".

If you get duplicates it means that you have created two separate Notification on both instances. If you imported them from the beginning the Id is the same and they would be overwritten.
Henrik
Support
keithdavis
2018-03-30T12:19:10Z
Sure, if we had done that from the beginning, but we have been using VisualCron for....well, ever (years), and we are way past that. To do that now, we'd have to go through and delete Task Error and Job Error from all servers (over a dozen), then import these into all 12 and then we would have to re-assign Job Error and Task error to every single Task and Job - that would be probably over 100 Jobs and probably near 500 Tasks!
keithdavis
2018-03-30T12:25:17Z
I have a hacky idea. :)

What if we exported all the Jobs, Tasks and Notifications from a each server, then using a text editor manually changed the Id for the Notifications to all be the same (using one server as the "master"). Would that work? Then in the future, we could do as you say.

Question: If the Notifications have the same Id, then can we use Clone (it's so much faster than export and import)? We don't care if the Jobs and Tasks have the same Id, we just want all of them to have the same Notifications.
keithdavis
2018-04-05T14:51:00Z
Support
2018-04-12T09:40:37Z

I have a hacky idea. :)

What if we exported all the Jobs, Tasks and Notifications from a each server, then using a text editor manually changed the Id for the Notifications to all be the same (using one server as the "master"). Would that work? Then in the future, we could do as you say.

Question: If the Notifications have the same Id, then can we use Clone (it's so much faster than export and import)? We don't care if the Jobs and Tasks have the same Id, we just want all of them to have the same Notifications.

I do not generally think it is good to edit manually. If you should edit it should be done through the API. But of course it is possible using a good XML editor/engine.

Yes, if the Notifications have the same id you can clone them (Tasks or Jobs).
Henrik
Support
keithdavis
2018-04-12T12:00:12Z
Well, we don't have a good solution and cloning these jobs across servers is very time consuming due to the issue of having to re-assign notifications every single time, so it might be worth the risk for us.
Scroll to Top