Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

jrtwynam
2018-06-15T17:08:34Z
Hi,

I have an SQL task set up to run a text script against an Oracle database. The script is basically in this form:

DECLARE
     <insert my variables here>
BEGIN
     <do a whole bunch of stuff here>
END;

The script runs fine, but part of the code between the BEGIN and END statements involves constructing a string containing a log of what happened during the run. I'm not sure how to get it to return that string. Oracle won't let me simply use a RETURN statement because this isn't a function, and it doesn't like when I do
SELECT vMsg FROM DUAL;
(where vMsg is my variable holding the result string).

Any thoughts on how I can get this string out of Oracle and into VC, without having to write the string to the database? I had thought about writing it to a MSG_LOG table and then doing something like
SELECT my_msg FROM msg_log
, which I think would appear in the VC StdOut variable or something, but I'd rather not have to write the message to the database if I can avoid it.

Thanks.
Sponsor
Forum information
thomas
2018-06-18T11:25:07Z
Haven't used oracle in many years, but maybe you could try dms_output and see if VC picks it up, eg:

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('something here');
jrtwynam
2018-06-18T12:18:02Z
If only everything in life were that easy. :)

My script already has a number of DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE calls in it, but I tried another task with a very simple script:

DECLARE

vCtr    NUMBER(5);

BEGIN

vCtr := 1;

WHILE vCtr <= 5
    LOOP

DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('This is iteration ' || vCtr || '.');

vCtr := vCtr + 1;

END LOOP;

END;

When I run this script in Oracle SQL Developer, I can clearly see the dbms output, but I don't know how to get VC to pick it up.
thomas
2018-06-18T13:04:55Z
ok. I don't have oracle installed so i cannot test. Last attempt: try adding this at the top of your script

SET SERVEROUTPUT ON

https://stackoverflow.co...-of-a-variable-in-oracle 
jrtwynam
2018-06-18T13:11:57Z
The funny thing is that I already have that line in the script when I run it in SQL Developer, but I didn't think to try it in VC. I just tried it, but it caused the script to fail:

Error in SQL query: ORA-00922: missing or invalid option

Exception in Task: ORA-00922: missing or invalid option
Scroll to Top