Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

JohnPenn
2018-07-24T13:16:48Z
I'm trying to evaluate VisualCron as a possible replacement for Task Scheduler at my client, and I've hit a showstopper.

I cannot import any jobs from their existing Task Scheduler. The list is empty and the following error is returned:

Unhandled error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VisualCronAPI.ScheduledTasksAPI.Import(String strHostName, Server s, String strUsername, String strPassword, String strDomain) in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronAPI\APIPublic\Classes\ScheduledTasks\apiScheduledTasks.vb:line 374

Can this be resolved?

EDIT: I should point out that I'm using the client app and not the API, despite what the error message says.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2018-07-25T12:13:44Z
JohnPenn
2018-07-25T12:25:44Z
I tried the new build but the Import from Task Scheduler screen is still showing an error when I click Connect:

Unhandled error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at VisualCronAPI.ScheduledTasksAPI.Import(String strHostName, Server s, String strUsername, String strPassword, String strDomain) in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronAPI\APIPublic\Classes\ScheduledTasks\apiScheduledTasks.vb:line 429

Support
2018-07-25T12:50:11Z
This is another error and it does not make any sense.

1. what OS version do you have?
2. do you have any Email Task in Scheduled Tasks?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
JohnPenn
2018-07-25T12:54:31Z
1. OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
2. One of the jobs does perform an email action.
JohnPenn
2018-07-25T12:58:28Z
I deleted the task with the email action and I no longer get the error message. The task grid loads as expected.
Support
2018-07-26T18:43:54Z
Originally Posted by: JohnPenn 

I deleted the task with the email action and I no longer get the error message. The task grid loads as expected.

Great, we would like to reproduce it though. Do you have a backup of it or can add it again to reproduce it? If you can add it and reproduce it please send screenshots of the settings.
Henrik
Support
JohnPenn
2018-07-27T13:06:05Z
Email job trigger.jpg Email Job 1.png Email Job 2.jpg Email Job 3.jpg Email Job 4.jpg
Originally Posted by: Support 

Originally Posted by: JohnPenn 

Great, we would like to reproduce it though. Do you have a backup of it or can add it again to reproduce it? If you can add it and reproduce it please send screenshots of the settings.

I exported the task before I deleted it so I was able to re-import quickly. After that I went back to the VisualCron client and tried to connect from the Import from Task Scheduler dialog. I got the same error:

at VisualCronAPI.ScheduledTasksAPI.Import(String strHostName, Server s, String strUsername, String strPassword, String strDomain) in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronAPI\APIPublic\Classes\ScheduledTasks\apiScheduledTasks.vb:line 429
Support
2018-08-07T18:41:00Z
The problem is that we cannot even create this action in Windows 10 as it has been deprecated.
Henrik
Support
JohnPenn
2018-08-08T13:46:44Z
For what it's worth, this isn't a concern for me. I had only the one task with an email step, and that was only recently added to help notify us when another job failed to launch. With VisualCron's features, that job will not be needed. Thanks again for your help.
Scroll to Top