Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Jon Tofte-Hansen
2018-12-05T12:11:27Z
VisualCron 8.4.0.

Yesterday afternoon around 3 PM I made an edit to a job. I disabled several triggers and enabled several tasks. From around 7:30 PM no jobs were run and at midnight the VisualCron service in Windows crashed.

Today I can see that the edit somehow triggered a bug where the same error is repeated in the log. It seems like a database insert that keeps failing and repeating:
Quote:

12/4/2018 2:57:38 PM Err InsertAuditLogItem->Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Description : String truncation: max=500, len=906, value='User '<username>' (<user initials>) updated Job '<job name>'. Task '<name of task 1>' was updated. Task '<name of task 2>' was updated. Task '<name of task 3>' was updated. Task '<name of task 4>' was updated. Task '<name of task 5>' was updated. Task '<name of task 6>' was updated. Task '<name of task 7>' was updated. Task '<name of task 8>' was updated. Task '<name of task 9>' was updated. Task '<name of task 10>' was updated. Task '<name of task 11>' was updated. Task '<name of task 12>' was updated. Task '<name of task 13>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 1>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 2>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 3>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 4>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 5>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 6>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 7>' was updated. Trigger '<name of trigger 8>' was updated.'.
at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.FillParameterDataBindings(Boolean verifyValue)
at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior, String method, ResultSetOptions options)
at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at VisualCronService.DBLoggerClass.CBOFJICBGIJKFJKDKAAIEFMPKKLEBLHIMFLF(DBLogItemClass ) in C:\sourcefiles\code\VisualCronService\Log\clsDBLogger.vb:line 770

The log was slowly bloated with the above error (I estimate ~20,00,000 times) and around 7:30 PM the c-drive was exhausted (the logfile had grown to 30G!) and it seems like the VisualCron server somehow paused: no job was run and nothing was logged. No alerts either. The service crashed around midnight with "The VisualCron service terminated unexpectedly" in the Windows System log and these two entries in the Windows Application log:

Event id: 1026, source: .NET Runtime:
Quote:

Application: VisualCronService.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.IOException
Stack:
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.FileStream.WriteCore(Byte[], Int32, Int32)
at System.IO.FileStream.FlushWrite(Boolean)
at System.IO.FileStream.Dispose(Boolean)
at System.IO.FileStream.Finalize()

And 14 seconds later: Event id: 1000, source: Application Error:
Quote:

Faulting application name: VisualCronService.exe, version: 8.4.0.31258, time stamp: 0x5be462a6
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24291, time stamp: 0x5be785b6
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000000bded
Faulting process id: 0x1278
Faulting application start time: 0x01d487101262aa27
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualCron\VisualCronService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 60a09090-f818-11e8-ba90-001dd8b71c0c

We have a monitor application that started the VisualCron service automatically but in the startup log the missed jobs between 7.30 PM and 11 PM was not recorded?!. The missed jobs for the last hour was recorded (from around 11 PM to midnight). So the VisualCron server must somehow have known that there was a problem from around 11 PM.

Please look into this.
Sponsor
Forum information
Christian Heiestad
2018-12-05T14:15:07Z
I confirm I saw the same this morning.

Log-file of the 4th of December had reached 146GB before starting on a new on the 5th. Before 6 it had reached 25 GB.
Restarting the service stopped the logging.

In addition, some tasks cannot be deactivated using "Deactivate Task"
In the Log:
05.12.2018 15:03:00 Task with Id '309f79c6-dfb9-47cd-aeb6-332b1f9ac832' was not found.

However the Task-ID copied from the task is the same.
Disabling through the check box in the job works fine.

Support
2018-12-05T21:40:08Z
Please re-download and re-install the latest version. We have patched this specific issue.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Jon Tofte-Hansen
2018-12-06T12:56:24Z
I installed the patched version this morning and so far the bug haven't been triggered.

The latest official version is named VisualCron8.exe - not VisualCron8.4.0.exe.
Scroll to Top