Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

jrtwynam
2019-08-14T13:37:53Z
Hi,

I've been trying to set up an email task to look in a particular folder (not the inbox/default folder) and either move emails to a different folder or delete them. I've come across a couple of problems with this.

First, although I've specified the folder I want it to look in, it will only look at the default folder (inbox). These are the settings in the task:
SS1.png SS2.png

As you can see, I've clearly specified a folder to look in, but it returns a list of messages from the inbox. Also, I've checked the "leave messages on server" box; once I get it returning the correct list of messages, I'll change that to "delete messages on server". I had posted about this awhile ago, and at the time, what wasn't working was the date constraint. From what I can tell, that part is now working (i.e. although it returns messages from the inbox, it IS only returning messages that are more than 2 weeks old).

The reason I want to set this up is that we have another job that monitors the inbox for emails with a particular subject line and processes them, part of which involves moving the emails to this folder. That works perfectly, but it means that this folder keeps growing until I manually clean it up. So, I'd like to have VC automatically clean it up.

Second, I was looking for a way to move messages to a different folder instead of delete them. The only thing I can see that gives the option to move an email is the email trigger, and that'll only let me move whichever email triggered the job. Is there not another email task that'll let me filter a folder for emails more than a month old, and move them to a different folder?

Thanks.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2019-08-14T15:35:20Z
This *sounds* like a bug in an older version. Can you try with the latest version?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
jrtwynam
2019-08-15T12:27:15Z
I had the same issue in 8.3.7 with the folder reading (that version also had the issue of the date criteria not working, but it seems that part has been fixed). I'm now on version 8.5.1, and I'd really rather not have to go through the process of upgrading again anytime soon if I can help it. I had a hard time with my recent upgrade, although admittedly a lot of that was likely because I was installing VC on a completely new machine, and the issues I was having were caused by that machine as opposed to VC.

I don't suppose anyone has written a bit of C#.net code to read an email folder? I was thinking of trying it myself, but all the Google searches I've done related to it seem to only turn up results for something I need to download (EAGetMail.dll). Interestingly, that seems to be the exact component that VC uses, according to what I see in my C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualCron folder.

On a related note, how about making the upgrade process more seamless? Instead of forcing the user to completely uninstall their existing version and download a whole new version, what about just downloading the updated components? For example, the version check that happens knows what version of the server I'm using, and it'd know what the current version is. I imagine that somewhere, VC would have a record of what was changed in each version, so it could cross reference my version with the current version to determine what DLLs in the above-mentioned folder have changed (and any other components). It could then just download the latest version of anything from that list (or even display the list to the user and give them the choice of which ones to update) and drop the DLLs into that folder, and also copy the old versions to some sort of backup/restore folder.

Just a thought. 🙂
Support
2019-08-15T13:24:22Z
Originally Posted by: jrtwynam 

I had the same issue in 8.3.7 with the folder reading (that version also had the issue of the date criteria not working, but it seems that part has been fixed). I'm now on version 8.5.1, and I'd really rather not have to go through the process of upgrading again anytime soon if I can help it. I had a hard time with my recent upgrade, although admittedly a lot of that was likely because I was installing VC on a completely new machine, and the issues I was having were caused by that machine as opposed to VC.

I don't suppose anyone has written a bit of C#.net code to read an email folder? I was thinking of trying it myself, but all the Google searches I've done related to it seem to only turn up results for something I need to download (EAGetMail.dll). Interestingly, that seems to be the exact component that VC uses, according to what I see in my C:\Program Files (x86)\VisualCron folder.

On a related note, how about making the upgrade process more seamless? Instead of forcing the user to completely uninstall their existing version and download a whole new version, what about just downloading the updated components? For example, the version check that happens knows what version of the server I'm using, and it'd know what the current version is. I imagine that somewhere, VC would have a record of what was changed in each version, so it could cross reference my version with the current version to determine what DLLs in the above-mentioned folder have changed (and any other components). It could then just download the latest version of anything from that list (or even display the list to the user and give them the choice of which ones to update) and drop the DLLs into that folder, and also copy the old versions to some sort of backup/restore folder.

Just a thought. :)

Thanks for the suggestion and feedback. Regardless of your previous unfortunate experience with updating - we still strongly recommend that you update it again. It will be hard to troubleshoot this if you can not cooperate there, as there is a chance that your issue is fixed with the latest update.
Michael
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 

Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top