Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

MgSam
  •  MgSam
  • No customer Topic Starter
2017-06-13T13:50:19Z
"End task" very often does not end the task. I'm not sure what it actually does, but much of the time it just ignores the request for some long period of time.
- What is the reason for this?
- Can a way be added to immediately kill the task/process?
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2017-06-14T14:25:41Z
What kind of Task type are we talking about here?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
MgSam
  •  MgSam
2017-06-14T14:30:10Z
We notice this with SQL tasks frequently. But I'm sure its happened with other types as well.
Support
2017-06-19T16:10:41Z
It is different for each Task type as different API:s allow different ways of aborting. It is also related to where in the execution process the Task is. So, sometimes it is in a state where it cannot be aborted but need to finish a certain part first.
Henrik
Support
MgSam
  •  MgSam
2017-06-19T16:24:29Z
Can't you always just execute the task in a separate process and kill that process when End Task is invoked? Whatever the task was running needs to be able to handle this kind of aborting anyway.

It seems to me like End Task is mixing two different pieces of functionality:
- sending an abort request- which can be handled by applications gracefully that support such a request
- "pulling the plug" on an application (immediately killing the process- similar to what you might do with "End Task" in Task Manager in Windows)

We rarely ever want the first one of these. We almost always want the second.

In my specific case about SQL tasks- SQL Server will perform a rollback regardless of whether the calling task is still live- so I don't see a reason not to immediately kill the entire calling process.
Support
2017-06-19T16:41:18Z
Originally Posted by: MgSam 

Can't you always just execute the task in a separate process and kill that process when End Task is invoked? Whatever the task was running needs to be able to handle this kind of aborting anyway.

It seems to me like End Task is mixing two different pieces of functionality:
- sending an abort request- which can be handled by applications gracefully that support such a request
- "pulling the plug" on an application (immediately killing the process- similar to what you might do with "End Task" in Task Manager in Windows)

We rarely ever want the first one of these. We almost always want the second.

In my specific case about SQL tasks- SQL Server will perform a rollback regardless of whether the calling task is still live- so I don't see a reason not to immediately kill the entire calling process.

No, because that would create to much overhead. Both in terms of launching own exe and the communication between the exe and the main service.
Henrik
Support
Scroll to Top