Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

APFCORG
2009-12-28T18:16:01Z
I run FTP jobs to get files where I know a file mask but not a specific filename. What is the best way for me to determine if I got a file and what it's actual name?
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2009-12-28T21:10:35Z
One way is to create one Job that uses a File Trigger on a local drive. Then create another Job that tries to download that file (with appropriate file filter). If file exists it is downloaded and the File trigger will Trigger. In the File trigger Job you can do anything you want to do.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
APFCORG
2009-12-28T23:58:10Z
Support wrote:

One way is to create one Job that uses a File Trigger on a local drive. Then create another Job that tries to download that file (with appropriate file filter). If file exists it is downloaded and the File trigger will Trigger. In the File trigger Job you can do anything you want to do.

😢 This is a very cumbersome approach!
I would prefer to use a condition on a task, but file exists conditions only allow for a single filename; not a file mask (as far as I can determine).

What about using a variable? Is there a way to determine the specific filename that the FTP get brought to the local drive using a variable and then use that variable in a condition?

Or what about using a VisualCron condition type? Any possible solutions there?

I do this type of task frequently and I don't want to have multiple jobs for each time I need to do this task.

Thank you
Support
2009-12-29T00:08:37Z
The main problem is that no such FTP command exist. So, it needs to be scripted. One solution is presented here but we could move this topic to Feature requests forum so developers script it internally of VisualCron (to check for remote file existens).
Henrik
Support
APFCORG
2009-12-29T00:19:23Z
Support wrote:

The main problem is that no such FTP command exist. So, it needs to be scripted. One solution is presented here but we could move this topic to Feature requests forum so developers script it internally of VisualCron (to check for remote file existens).

I would appreciate moving this to a feature request if no capability currently exists that would help me accomplish this task.

Keep in mind though, that I'm NOT trying to check for file existance on a remote FTP system. What I want to do is get the file from the FTP system to a local drive and then determine that I got the file and what is it's filename.
Support
2009-12-29T00:23:22Z
Then the first approach is the most effective. I don't see any other good way to do it.

Perhaps what you are searching for are some Variables how many files were downloaded. If one file was downloaded you want to continue with next Task?
Henrik
Support
Scroll to Top