Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Support
2012-06-07T09:33:49Z
Group permissions

This version contains some important changes regarding permissions. Permissions have been moved from user level to group level. User can now belong to one or more groups. Also, specific permissions can be set at Job level. Read documentation here:

Group permissions - documentation 

Web client

We have constructed a proof of concept web client in ASP.NET. Our goal was to use our current API to provide a real time web experience. The web version is open source and supports touch devices. Read more about it here:

Web client - documentation 

You can test the web client against our test server here: http://webclient.visualcron.com 

Add a new connection with IP 192.168.1.135 and username "admin".

Changes in this version

[NOTE] Backwards compatibility. This version uses new protocol and cannot connect to older versions. If you downgrade then new permissions created will not be seen in older versions.
[FEATURE] Client: Added support for Azure/Amazon S3/Google drive/SkyDrive and WebDav in FTP explorer
[FEATURE] Client/Server: Support for the Web client
[FEATURE] Client/Server: Added group permissions
[FEATURE] Client/Server: Added permissions on Job level
[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed a folder creation issue in Amazon/Azure upload
[BUGFIX] Server: Added a fix for Email Trigger when using POP3 (could previously cause an error if you do not use default folder or had extended debugging on)
[BUGFIX] Client/Server: Handled some errors in Set Variable Task when using "late binding"
[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed printer selection issue in when printing images (removed Word dependency)
[BUGFIX] Client/Server: Fixed issues with web services parameters of type output in Web service Task
[BUGFIX] Client/Server: Fixed an issue with Variables and testing Job
[BUGFIX] Client: Fixed sorting issue in FTP explorer
[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed WebDAV multiple files upload issue
[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed image printing issue when All pages was selected
[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed a temporary folder location issue for Office Macro Tasks
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2012-06-08T16:41:47Z
Download updated. Some permission fixes that caused the Client to crash was fixed in this release.
Henrik
Support
Support
2012-06-13T07:55:07Z
New version uploaded. Changes:

[FEATURE] Client: Added support for Azure/Amazon S3/Google drive/SkyDrive and WebDav in FTP explorer
[BUGFIX] Client/Server: Fixed an issue with Variables and testing Job
+ fixes for SQL Explorer permissions
Henrik
Support
ErikC
2012-06-14T07:52:49Z
Support wrote:

This is much better, but sorting the Modified column looks still wrong though.

Regards
Erik
ErikC attached the following image(s):

Uses Visualcron since 2006.
bbusse
2012-06-14T17:53:49Z
Do you have any information on actually installing the webclient portion? We are running the VisualCron 6.1.2 server on a 2008 R2 server that has IIS installed. I don't see in the documentation exactly 'how' to go about using it, but simply copying the extracted Webclient zip file into a folder under WWWROOT doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I'm no web developer and not sure if there are certain pre-reqs that need to exist prior to trying this or any changes needing to be made in the web.config file.

Also, Is there a plan to use AD Integration with regards to Groups? Obviously you have Groups, but they are local(VC specific) groups within the program/xml. I don't want to disregard how amazing it is to finally have this, but of course now I want more! 🙂 The fact that I still have to add an AD user and then assign them 'roles' based on these local (VC Only) groups, leaves me in a bad spot. I need to get away from managing individual users and just add an 'AD Group' and set permissions in VC based on that AD group, which gets me out of managing permissions from within VC. We use AD Groups quite heavily in our organization and by using AD Groups instead of AD Users tied to local VC Groups, you could (or rather, 'I' could) not have to manually add/remove folks from the VC Users List. If we remove them from an AD Group, such as when they leave a department or leave the company, there is no lingering user ID/perms specific to that AD user within VC anymore.

Does that make sense? Basically looking for further development for the AD Integration to use AD Groups, instead of AD Users. Even if you still have your Local Groups, let VC take it one step further and not require users..... but AD Users 'OR' AD Groups.

Brian
ErikC
2012-06-15T05:53:55Z
bbusse wrote:

Do you have any information on actually installing the webclient portion? We are running the VisualCron 6.1.2 server on a 2008 R2 server that has IIS installed. I don't see in the documentation exactly 'how' to go about using it, but simply copying the extracted Webclient zip file into a folder under WWWROOT doesn't seem to get me anywhere. I'm no web developer and not sure if there are certain pre-reqs that need to exist prior to trying this or any changes needing to be made in the web.config file.

Hi Brian,
You have to configure IIS for this application to work. Search for: 'inetpub create virtual directory IIS' with your favorite search engine on the web and you will find a lot of information.

Regards
Erik
Support
2012-06-15T14:46:27Z
Originally Posted by: bbusse 

Also, Is there a plan to use AD Integration with regards to Groups? Obviously you have Groups, but they are local(VC specific) groups within the program/xml. I don't want to disregard how amazing it is to finally have this, but of course now I want more! 🙂 The fact that I still have to add an AD user and then assign them 'roles' based on these local (VC Only) groups, leaves me in a bad spot. I need to get away from managing individual users and just add an 'AD Group' and set permissions in VC based on that AD group, which gets me out of managing permissions from within VC. We use AD Groups quite heavily in our organization and by using AD Groups instead of AD Users tied to local VC Groups, you could (or rather, 'I' could) not have to manually add/remove folks from the VC Users List. If we remove them from an AD Group, such as when they leave a department or leave the company, there is no lingering user ID/perms specific to that AD user within VC anymore.

Does that make sense? Basically looking for further development for the AD Integration to use AD Groups, instead of AD Users. Even if you still have your Local Groups, let VC take it one step further and not require users..... but AD Users 'OR' AD Groups.

Brian

Perhaps what you are searching for is something we missed to implement (but we can add). I am thinking of setting assigning a default VC Group for new users. This way the new user will get permissions right away. What do you think?
Henrik
Support
FAYALA
2012-06-16T17:42:08Z
I've Downloaded the webclient from http://visualcronwebclie...codeplex.com/discussions , deployed it in my local IIS Server and got an IIS Error page about an ASP.NET has detected a configuration hat does not apply in Integrated Managed Pipeline mode, after modifying the following line in web.config I've got it to run.

<system.webServer>
<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>

<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true"/>
</system.webServer>

However when I try to connect to the visualcron server I'm actually testing (6.1.1), i get the message:

Server API protocol is obsolete - please upgrade Server.

It won't work :(

Support
2012-06-16T20:43:32Z
Originally Posted by: FAYALA 

I've Downloaded the webclient from http://visualcronwebclie...codeplex.com/discussions , deployed it in my local IIS Server and got an IIS Error page about an ASP.NET has detected a configuration hat does not apply in Integrated Managed Pipeline mode, after modifying the following line in web.config I've got it to run.

<system.webServer>
<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>

<modules runAllManagedModulesForAllRequests="true"/>
</system.webServer>

However when I try to connect to the visualcron server I'm actually testing (6.1.1), i get the message:

Server API protocol is obsolete - please upgrade Server.

It won't work :(

Thanks for feedback. The web client only work with 6.1.2 and newer versions.
Henrik
Support
Support
2012-06-18T07:28:54Z
New version uploaded.

+ added the possibility to set a default group for new users
Henrik
Support
ErikC
2012-06-18T09:15:41Z
Support wrote:

added the possibility to set a default group for new users

I can make all the groups default. Than a new user gets the latest default setting.

I restarted the client and checked the group default settings. Than there is only one true (my latest one). So it looks like the column default is not refreshed after a default setting change.

Regards,
Erik
ErikC
2012-06-18T09:52:17Z
Some other things:

• The GUI window for the .NET code execute is too small. It's nice to know there are more settings on the bottom.
  • In the FTP explorer I can download a file. The second time I download a file, the local files window is not refreshed until I click on it or download a 3rd file.
  • In the FTP Explorer I can select multiple files in the Local Files list, however clicking with the right mouse button the selection is gone. Using the context key on the keyboard works though.

Regards,
Erik

devonway
2012-06-19T21:41:10Z
There seems to be an issue where activating and inactivating jobs does not work as expected. Right clicking on a job and selective inactivate or activate has no effect. the only way we have found to work around this is to open the job and click on the activated check box for each of the jobs tasks. This can be very annoying however when trying to toggle the activity status of a group of jobs.
Support
2012-06-20T06:43:01Z
Originally Posted by: devonway 

There seems to be an issue where activating and inactivating jobs does not work as expected. Right clicking on a job and selective inactivate or activate has no effect. the only way we have found to work around this is to open the job and click on the activated check box for each of the jobs tasks. This can be very annoying however when trying to toggle the activity status of a group of jobs.

This probably has something todo with settings. Please export all your settings and email to us. Tell us which user you use and which Job you are trying to activate. support@visualcron.com
Henrik
Support
Support
2012-06-20T06:44:54Z
New version uploaded. Changes:

[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed WebDAV multiple files upload issue
+ fixed an issue with Task activation in main grid
Henrik
Support
devonway
2012-06-20T20:56:15Z
Originally Posted by: devonway 

It looks like the new updated version fixed this as we re-installed with the new version and it works fine now.
bbusse
2012-06-21T13:48:06Z
Originally Posted by: Support 

Brian

Perhaps what you are searching for is something we missed to implement (but we can add). I am thinking of setting assigning a default VC Group for new users. This way the new user will get permissions right away. What do you think?

That helps, but then i'm still left with a list of users that may or may not still need access to the system. If we could assign a 'Domain Group' permissions in a 'VisualCron Group' and use that domain group to authenticate them, thats what i'm looking for. Something to the effect of me not EVER having to adjust permissions in VisualCron again, becuase i would manipulate permissions based on changing members of the AD group. That way there wouldn't be any footprints left in the user tables in VC when a user either leaves the company, changes roles, etc...

Does that make sense? Ideally the only Specific User ID in VisualCron would be the non-Domain 'Administrator' ID that gets created when installed, with everything being AD Group Based.

Brian
Support
2012-06-25T08:49:35Z

Originally Posted by: Support 

Brian

That helps, but then i'm still left with a list of users that may or may not still need access to the system. If we could assign a 'Domain Group' permissions in a 'VisualCron Group' and use that domain group to authenticate them, thats what i'm looking for. Something to the effect of me not EVER having to adjust permissions in VisualCron again, becuase i would manipulate permissions based on changing members of the AD group. That way there wouldn't be any footprints left in the user tables in VC when a user either leaves the company, changes roles, etc...

Does that make sense? Ideally the only Specific User ID in VisualCron would be the non-Domain 'Administrator' ID that gets created when installed, with everything being AD Group Based.

Brian

Please make a separate Feature request for this.
Henrik
Support
Support
2012-06-25T08:50:45Z
New download. Fixed in this version:

[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed image printing issue when All pages was selected
Henrik
Support
ErikC
2012-06-25T09:57:16Z
Originally Posted by: ErikC 

Support wrote:

Regards
Erik

Sorting of the modified column isn't working. The others are ok.

Regards
Erik
Support
2012-06-25T13:34:26Z

Support wrote:

Regards
Erik

Sorting of the modified column isn't working. The others are ok.

Regards
Erik

Thanks, we are working on that but it will probably show up in 6.1.3.
Henrik
Support
Support
2012-06-25T13:35:36Z
New upload. Change:

[BUGFIX] Server: Fixed a temporary folder location issue for Office Macro Tasks
Henrik
Support