Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

Rob@Ecentric
2014-04-04T13:03:39Z
Something we'd like to see in VC is a left-to-right visual time-line of job/task history, similiar in concept to the calendar. The calendar only works for jobs that have time-based triggers, so you don't get an accurate view of jobs that will run that possibly daisy-chain with other jobs, or are file triggered, etc. So we'd like a visual history of jobs that have run, when, why, and when they stopped, possibly expandable to see the individual tasks as well, and any events like errors and manual job cancellations getting marked on the timeline for that job/task.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2014-04-04T13:27:41Z
I think a lot of that information can be found in the Job and Task log? You can right click on a Job or Task in main window.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Rob@Ecentric
2014-04-04T13:30:57Z
What we want to do is, at a glance, see where gaps exist in our job history where new jobs could possibly run. There's no clear way of doing this, unless as you say you right click on each and every job/task to see when it ran and keep track of those values. We'd prefer a visual, filterable view of the jobs/tasks to see where gaps exists.
Support
2014-04-04T13:32:31Z
Ok, could you add as many details as possible what you would like to see?

I guess, different time views like Hour, Day, Week, Month, Year?
Henrik
Support
Rob@Ecentric
2014-04-04T14:36:30Z
In our case we're interested in midnight the previous day to now, but this can be expanded to whatever date range I'm sure, although it might look very busy.

I'll try explain what I have in mind:
  • X-axis of time
  • Y-axis of jobs (almost exactly the same way the job list looks in Calendar on the left, and filterable)
  • For the time that the job was running, a coloured bar (also similiar to the calendar) that lines up with the x-axis for time and y-axis for the job
  • The job can be expanded to see the tasks below it, and for each task the same coloured bars for that tasks run-time
  • Small markers can show at the end/beginning of a job/task bar showing why it started (time,job,event,file-trigger,etc) or stopped (if abnormal)
  • Maybe the following as separate option, and this is difficult to explain verbally. The screen shows a 24-hour period from midnight to midnight, and it shows the same as above but with all of the bars stacked on top of each other, so you can sort of see a job 'heat' range in terms of a rolling 24-hour period
bbusse
2014-04-04T14:38:47Z
I really like this idea. Sometime's it's difficult to know for sure when there might be, for instance, a good time to perform maintenance. We have a rule we go by where... if we want to do maintenance, you must log in... look at the next run times for everything, ensure nothing is 'currently' running.... and reboot if necessary at least 5 minutes before the next job is supposed to run. It would be nice to be able to tell management that we can clearly see, even those jobs that are not time/schedule based.... that we almost never run jobs between 'X' and 'X' hours (or minutes for that matter. That'd be our maintenance window.

Brian
Rob@Ecentric
2014-04-04T14:40:18Z
That's exactly what we're trying to achieve as well!
al355
2014-04-11T13:31:12Z
We would like this also, it is something that exists in competitor products and would be a real win.
We may consider contributing towards the development of this.
Support
2014-04-11T16:54:26Z
Originally Posted by: al355 

We would like this also, it is something that exists in competitor products and would be a real win.
We may consider contributing towards the development of this.

al355 - if you have screenshot of how it has been implemented please send it to support@visualcron.com
Henrik
Support
al355
2014-04-11T16:59:13Z
I will get you a screenshot
al355
2014-04-14T09:11:44Z
Please see attached image

al355 attached the following image(s):
Support
2014-04-14T09:19:39Z
Originally Posted by: al355 

Please see attached image

Thanks, but what is the difference between this and the calender we have right now?
Henrik
Support
al355
2014-04-14T09:24:20Z
I may be missing something but I can't see the times of jobs on the current calendar (on the month view)

The day and week view are fine but in terms of this specific request, it was more about putting audit details on the calendar such as when a job started and finished.
Rob@Ecentric
2014-04-15T09:05:48Z
The calendar is only useful for looking at jobs that have been time triggered and due to run in the future. We want a history view of jobs/tasks that have run regardless of trigger, even manual job/task runs.
Scroll to Top