4.6.17 Daylight Saving Time Issue (i know its an old version) - VisualCron - Forum

Community forum

bbusse
2009-03-12T15:51:36Z
We had an issue last weekend when DST caused our clocks to jump forward an hour. From what i've been told, jobs did not run at all that day until we rebooted the server the next evening. I see in the ChangeLog notes on the site that there was a DST fix in VisualCron 4.6.1 [2007-04-28]

We're running 4.6.17 which i would assume is covered by that fix, but there are no ChangeLog notes between 4.6.1 and 4.6.3 and nothing since about DST.

Are there any currently known issues with DST (Daylight Saving Time)? Is the version we're running not covered by the DST bugfix back in April 2007?

I need to provide answers to management. Obviously I could upgrade to the latest version, but I saw no mention of DST fixes since April 2007 and haven't come up with a reason to upgrade unless I know it will fix our issue. The product has been rock solid for what we use it for.

Brian
Support
2009-03-12T19:47:00Z
We have changed some handling but we have lost some "history" because of a new source handling tool - so we can't say if old DST issues were sorted out in your version or not. But - we have received one report from a user which experienced this problem with a later version. It seems like, an event that we listen to "TimeChange" from the system does not work in some environments. We don't know what might affect this.

What we will do is, besides keeping this TimeChange event is to add an additional manual check for TimeChange. That will be added for version 5.0.5. So, in your case, we recommend upgrading once we have released version 5.0.5.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
pinx
2009-03-30T12:51:30Z
Today we had this problem on several machines.
It seems it happens only with jobs that run every x minutes (where x < 60).

The solution might be, that VisualCron, when determining the next execution time, checks if this execution time really 'exists'.
29 March 2:01 is a time that will never occur.
We saw jobs with this time as planned next execution time.

Another possible solution: schedule a restart of VisualCron (I don't know if this is possible: have VisualCron restart itself) at 3:01 for the coming years on the DST dates.
Support
2009-03-30T12:58:21Z
Would be interesting if you could post the logs from log_serverXXXXXX.txt at the time change. Also, what version you are using.

pinx wrote:

Today we had this problem on several machines.
It seems it happens only with jobs that run every x minutes (where x < 60).

The solution might be, that VisualCron, when determining the next execution time, checks if this execution time really 'exists'.
29 March 2:01 is a time that will never occur.
We saw jobs with this time as planned next execution time.

Another possible solution: schedule a restart of VisualCron (I don't know if this is possible: have VisualCron restart itself) at 3:01 for the coming years on the DST dates.



Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Clicky73
2009-04-02T14:28:51Z
Another issue we experienced that may well be documented, but I cant find it yet as am new to this product and forum.

We are running 4.9.40.
All our servers are on GMT, but our desktops are on BST.
When connecting to the servers using the client from our BST desktops, the server time at the bottom left displays the BST Time. Strange as it says "Server Time".

If we go in and change the time on a schedule job using our desktop clients, say to 00:10 then log into the server and view Visual Cron from there it says 23:10.

Is this correct? It seems to have taken the time from our desktop rather than the server time.

Has anyone else seen this or are we doing something very wrong?
Support
2009-04-02T15:27:26Z
Even though the time zone is different VisualCron is converting the remote time zone (at server) to local time (and time zone).

Clicky73 wrote:

Another issue we experienced that may well be documented, but I cant find it yet as am new to this product and forum.

We are running 4.9.40.
All our servers are on GMT, but our desktops are on BST.
When connecting to the servers using the client from our BST desktops, the server time at the bottom left displays the BST Time. Strange as it says "Server Time".

If we go in and change the time on a schedule job using our desktop clients, say to 00:10 then log into the server and view Visual Cron from there it says 23:10.

Is this correct? It seems to have taken the time from our desktop rather than the server time.

Has anyone else seen this or are we doing something very wrong?



Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Clicky73
2009-04-02T16:40:36Z
Is that how it is suppose to be?

I would have thought where it says "Server Time", this would be the actual server time and not converted.

Also, if I was to put in a scheduled time on one of my servers through the client on my desktop, then that was the time for it to run, not to convert it.

Not a major problem now I know , just caught me out last night when some of my jobs were suppose to run at 00:10 with a 1 hour time limit. Instead they ran at 23.10 and timed out at 00:10.

Support
2009-04-02T16:43:24Z
Yes, maybe we can make that optional, to be able to switch between these but that would be a feature request.

Clicky73 wrote:

Is that how it is suppose to be?

I would have thought where it says "Server Time", this would be the actual server time and not converted.

Also, if I was to put in a scheduled time on one of my servers through the client on my desktop, then that was the time for it to run, not to convert it.

Not a major problem now I know , just caught me out last night when some of my jobs were suppose to run at 00:10 with a 1 hour time limit. Instead they ran at 23.10 and timed out at 00:10.



Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top