Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

GeoffAlbin
2019-03-14T15:06:07Z
I have built and configured a Windows 2016 Data Center cluster with 2 nodes. I implemented Storage Spaces Direct. (S2D)

that technology basically creates a shared virtual disk at C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 (both nodes see the same disk)

my question is around the Role of the cluster. Do i need to create a high availability role for fail over capabilities? Ie Generic Application, Generic server, Other server?

I feel like i can install VC on the shared disk but how with the clients know what node is active? In order to create a virtual IP for the cluster to listen on, i need a Role, don't I?

thanks.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2019-03-21T10:03:35Z
You should install on the shared node. What do you mean by how will the Clients now? Will it not be the same dns name or ip?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
GeoffAlbin
2019-03-21T11:15:48Z
Originally Posted by: Support 

You should install on the shared node. What do you mean by how will the Clients now? Will it not be the same dns name or ip?

in a cluster, you have to a Role. a Role defines 2 major things.

1. what is the defined process that is actually clustered. Ie, a service, an app, a process, etc
2. what is the virtual IP for the above service or app or process.

without criteria number 1, when a fail over occurs, how will the new primary node of the cluster know what process or service to start?
without criteria number 2, the client or web URL potentially will be pointing to an inactive secondary.

Now, i could get around criteria 2 with a load balancer, however, in order to set up a load balancer, it also has to listen to a port or process to know when to activate node 1 or node 2.

I could also ask a simpler question; when i failover the cluster, how does the new primary node know to start the VC service?

Rafikwt1
2019-04-22T08:00:26Z
HI ,

i too have the same doudt , I have installed the cluster .but when install the app in the cluster shared disk , it dint asked any information about my cluster . Now how shall i determine my cluster and VS are in communication each other
Support
2019-04-22T10:15:31Z
Originally Posted by: GeoffAlbin 

Originally Posted by: Support 

in a cluster, you have to a Role. a Role defines 2 major things.

1. what is the defined process that is actually clustered. Ie, a service, an app, a process, etc
2. what is the virtual IP for the above service or app or process.

without criteria number 1, when a fail over occurs, how will the new primary node of the cluster know what process or service to start?
without criteria number 2, the client or web URL potentially will be pointing to an inactive secondary.

Now, i could get around criteria 2 with a load balancer, however, in order to set up a load balancer, it also has to listen to a port or process to know when to activate node 1 or node 2.

I could also ask a simpler question; when i failover the cluster, how does the new primary node know to start the VC service?

What options do you have for checking something? Can you check a process or service status?
Henrik
Support
GeoffAlbin
2019-04-26T11:52:06Z
the normal option would be to add a "Service" as a clustered "Role". This would allow the clustering service to control the Visual Cron service state. Ie, Node 1 is running the service and Node 2 is waiting for a fail over but the Visual Cron service is NOT running on Node 2.

However, adding the VC service to the Role is not possible. At least I was not able to find a way to add the VC service to a Role.

Rafikwt1
2019-04-28T05:52:44Z
Dear Geof,

I beleive we need to install seperatly VS in both nodes and in the cluster disk , once done VS services will be running in both node and dont forget to make this is cluster enviroment in server setting in both the nodes

then create a generic service in cluster and add VS services to it , this is bring VS to cluster and failover then

I am also new to VS , anyhow this is what i am going to try this week as i am also in processing of setting up VS cluster envrioment
GeoffAlbin
2019-04-29T11:26:29Z
Originally Posted by: Rafikwt1 

Dear Geof,

I beleive we need to install seperatly VS in both nodes and in the cluster disk , once done VS services will be running in both node and dont forget to make this is cluster enviroment in server setting in both the nodes

then create a generic service in cluster and add VS services to it , this is bring VS to cluster and failover then

I am also new to VS , anyhow this is what i am going to try this week as i am also in processing of setting up VS cluster envrioment

Thank you. Please post back to this forum with your results. I hope you have success.
Rafikwt1
2019-04-29T11:28:32Z
when i install locally it is working but when i install in cluster disk it is not connecting ..

😕
Support
2019-04-30T08:10:59Z

when i install locally it is working but when i install in cluster disk it is not connecting ..

😕

Make sure that the VisualCron service is running on the node. If yes, please send the file server_startup.txt to support@visualcron.com
Henrik
Support
Rafikwt1
2019-04-30T12:21:00Z
i have send the log to support team , please check and get back
Support
2019-04-30T14:52:26Z

i have send the log to support team , please check and get back

From which email did you send?
Henrik
Support
Support
2019-05-02T14:56:02Z
We did not receive it. Please send again. Also try sending to visualcron@gmail.com
Henrik
Support
Scroll to Top