We got hit by this issue last night when upgrading from 7.2.1 to 7.5.1 (I thought it was solved in 7.5.1). We previously disabled the built-in admin account and use only AD logins, like a real business, so of course we could do nothing and had to roll back the install because nobody could get into the user permissions dialog. Since client and server version has to match always (whether you check or not - we've had things get very screwed up by using mismatched versions) we can't really test this in a test environment without some pain and had to roll back three servers.
Now I'm trying to find a good path forward from 7.2.1 to 7.5.1. So far it seems to be this:
1) enable the built in admin account (yuck)
3) AD Users don't work, so log in with Admin, add AD groups, remove users
The problem with this is that all of the created by and modified by fields on all the jobs show "user name not found" which is absolutely unacceptable. Here are some other notes about the situation before and after the upgrade:
- Before the upgrade, AD users are currently only in "temp group for [username]" and not in administrators, yet have administrative access due to what I can only assume is coincidence.
- Even after adding the AD groups that contain the users, AD users still don't work in 7.5.1, despite being added to the Administrators group (user not in group message)
- AD users only work when you delete them and add their group. But we cannot have hundreds of jobs without a created or modified by name.