Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

michaelhum
2018-03-16T13:16:36Z
Hi,
A feature request. A function/feature for defining a FTP connection by job (in addition to the already available FTP connections as a global object). Here's the rationale. I need to connect to a ftp server and I have hundreds of unique FTP userids and passwords. The credentials determine what directory is accessible on the ftp server.
Example:
Userid1 with password1 -> access to directory ABC on the ftp server
Userid2 with password2 -> access to directory XYZ on the ftp server
The option to specify a unique server, userid and password would be located as an "OR" on the same page where you would pick a global connection

Alternatively,
Allow the ftp server name, userid and password to be passed as variables. I would define these 3 custom variables at the job level, and then use a global connection. The global connection would be configured with these variables.
Sponsor
Forum information
wiseguy001
2018-04-26T14:37:34Z
I would also like to see this implemented and prefer the 2nd alternative option, setting the ftp server as global and enabling use of userid/password as job variables. However, I see the security concern that userid and password would be visible to anyone who has view access to the job, which is a security concern. Is it possible to setup a job variable in a hidden 'password' format to avoid this?
michaelhum
2018-04-26T15:29:39Z
Because the ability to pass the ftp server name, ftp userid and ftp password as variables doesn't exist "YET" ...I resorted to using the Execute task to call the ftp.exe (ftp.exe resident in the Windows OS). I pass the ftp arguments, -s:getftpstuff.txt The getftpstuff.txt file contains the:

open ftpserver name
password
userid

Its a bit of a pain (but avoids the "one use" global ftp connection..but I end up with 100+ getftpstuff.txt files.) hence the request for support for variables.

michaelhum
2019-03-25T14:37:15Z
Hi,

I just ran a test with VisualCron version 8.41...

I created variables (defined the variables in the Main settings for the job) for
- userid
- password
- server address
I have a single task defined in the job to list the contents of the ftp directory

In the "Connections" screen, I configured a SFTP connection and used the defined variables.

And the connection completes and the directory contents are listed.

When did "Connections" start supporting the passing of variables!!??

Michael

Support
2019-03-26T15:47:32Z
Originally Posted by: michaelhum 

Hi,

I just ran a test with VisualCron version 8.41...

I created variables (defined the variables in the Main settings for the job) for
- userid
- password
- server address
I have a single task defined in the job to list the contents of the ftp directory

In the "Connections" screen, I configured a SFTP connection and used the defined variables.

And the connection completes and the directory contents are listed.

When did "Connections" start supporting the passing of variables!!??

Michael

We do support Variables in Connection strings like username, password and hostname. What exactly are you after?

Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
michaelhum
2019-03-28T20:15:24Z
Hi,
This is exactly what i was looking for: "Variables in Connection strings like username, password and hostname". I guess when I posted the request (about a year ago) for this capability it wasn't possible in the VisualCron version I was using.

Super happy its now possible!
Scroll to Top