Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

drift@movestic.se
2018-10-16T09:35:54Z
I'm copying the same file to two locations.
In the first destination it gets the permissions of that folder.
In the second destination it doesn't.

The only thing that differs is that the second copy task has "delete source file after copy" selected.
It seems that setting "delete source file after copy" makes the copy operation become a move operation.

But windows doesn't actually care (correct me if I'm wrong!). Even if you copy or move a file in windows it gets the permissions of the destination folder. Unless the file is set to not inherit permissions (which is extremely rare).

I would call this a bug! Or am i wrong?!?
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2018-10-24T16:08:51Z
It is correct that we perform a Move when "Delete source file.." is checked. I do not see how it affects the permissions as this happens on a very low level.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
bbusse
2018-10-29T16:13:27Z
Originally Posted by: drift@movestic.se 

I'm copying the same file to two locations.
In the first destination it gets the permissions of that folder.
In the second destination it doesn't.

The only thing that differs is that the second copy task has "delete source file after copy" selected.
It seems that setting "delete source file after copy" makes the copy operation become a move operation.

But windows doesn't actually care (correct me if I'm wrong!). Even if you copy or move a file in windows it gets the permissions of the destination folder. Unless the file is set to not inherit permissions (which is extremely rare).

I would call this a bug! Or am i wrong?!?

Can you explain the location of the source and destination paths? Are the destination paths on the same drive letter, root file share, etc... as the source path? I.e. copying from C:\Source to C:\Destination, or are the 2 destinations on different systems entirely?

I ask, because the Windows NTFS file permissions DO inherit permissions when copied or moved to a new folder. The main exception to that rule is if you 'move' a file to a different folder on the same volume (i.e. drive letter). If moved to a different folder on the same drive/volume, the permissions stay in tact (source perms follow the file). Hence my question, is your second destination path similar to the source path, where the move operations happens?

Brian

Scroll to Top