Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

pottmi
2019-05-18T05:25:32Z
I am trying to use Remote Execution to copy a file.

MachineJ is the visualCron machine.

MachineA is the archive machine. This is the machine that will have the script executed on it. It executes on this machine because we have a rule that all file copies we read shares and write to local.

MachineS is the source machine of the file we want to copy.

One MachineJ I have REmote Execute configured for:
Host name = MachineA
Command = \\MachineA\d:\Some\Path\somescrt

On MachineA I have as script: D:\Some\Path\somescrt.bat

that looks like this:

ROBOCOPY \\MachineS\Another\Path\SomeImportantFile.pdf \\MachineA\Archive\Folder

When I run it visualcron just executes forever so I kill the job.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I configure this properly.

2. It does not make sense to me that I have to specify the UNC for the Command. I would expect to command to be relative to MachineA.

3. Could you explain the mechanism by which this works? I want to develop an intuition for the proper use case for remote execution and its limitations.

4. I am running this to copy files to our archive machine efficiently so I want to make sure that the network traffic of the copy is strictly between MachineS and MachineA.
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2019-05-27T07:07:02Z
Remote Execute is limited by Windows. The Credential can only be used to gain access to remote computer - not to run a process as a user on the remote system. Because of this users install VisualCron Server on the Remote machine and use normal Execute machine on server A to call server B.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
pottmi
2019-05-27T16:33:33Z
Is there a way for VC on machine A to send a command to VC on machine B to run a job?

My goal is to have one machine that has all the control of when jobs execute in the entire company.

That way when I want to suspend jobs or find good maintenance windows I just look at one machine.

Support
2019-05-28T06:27:53Z
Originally Posted by: pottmi 

Is there a way for VC on machine A to send a command to VC on machine B to run a job?

My goal is to have one machine that has all the control of when jobs execute in the entire company.

That way when I want to suspend jobs or find good maintenance windows I just look at one machine.

Yes, you use normal Execute Task and in Main settings of Task you have Execution Context. There you specify which remote VC server you want to execute on.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top