Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

PaulMac
2019-09-27T19:40:11Z
I have two jobs that test the availability of Data base connections and web services. I want to run these frequently and notify immediately if the tests they conduct fail. However, i also want to only receive a notification every 15 minutes if the tests continue to fail even though each test is ran once per minute.

How can i set this up so a notification will not generate an email if it has sent one in the last x minutes?
Sponsor
Forum information
al355
2019-10-01T13:54:13Z
You could have a flag in the job which you set when you want an email to be sent and check for this flag being set prior to the notification going out.
Joey S
2019-10-03T21:20:37Z
I have a few similar jobs setup like that...here is what I did:

Timed Trigger
1. set your trigger to start the job
2. Task #1 - check the data connection - Write the result to a file or output to StdOut
3. Task #2 - read the file (if using that method or skip to the next task if reading the StdOut)
4. Task #3 - The email or notification task - set a condition to look for your keyword (or lack there of) in the output of Task #1 (either through Task 2 (file) or Task 1 StdOut). If the word exists or doesn't, depending on your needs, the notification task will run. If this condition is met and your email is sent, then the Flow should be set to go to the next task. If the condition is not met, the job will then stop regardless of flow. The key here is setting your condition correctly.
5. Task #4 - Interactivity Task - Wait 15 min - Flow should be set to stop job on completion

- So...your job will run every 1 min (trigger), it will do it's test and write the output (Task#1) or Task#2) so you can analyze the output (the Condition) and then react to the output by emailing or not (Task#3). IF Task 3 runs then Task 4 will run and make the job wait. IF Task 3 does not run (because the condition is not met), the job stops and the trigger is back in play.

Conditional Trigger - persistent event
You can do all of the same things above with the use of a conditional trigger. Such as, Disk C has 5% or less available disk space.
For this type of job you will want to Create Task 1 to be "Inactivate Trigger", email or notify in Task 2, then wait 15 min in Task 3 and Reactivate the trigger in Task 4. This way, the trigger is fired and then instantly deactivated. Notifications are sent and then we wait 15 min and then the job reactivates its own trigger. If the event still exists (ie. the drive is still less than 5% free), the whole thing runs again
Support
2019-10-08T15:39:54Z
Originally Posted by: PaulMac 

I have two jobs that test the availability of Data base connections and web services. I want to run these frequently and notify immediately if the tests they conduct fail. However, i also want to only receive a notification every 15 minutes if the tests continue to fail even though each test is ran once per minute.

How can i set this up so a notification will not generate an email if it has sent one in the last x minutes?

Hi Paul,

Do you still have questions regarding this issue or have you got this solved?
Michael
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 

Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top