Community forum

Please note that VisualCron support is not actively monitoring this community forum. Please use our contact page for contacting the VisualCron support directly.

BeverlyZ
2010-05-03T22:22:42Z
Will VisualCron work for me? I need some sort of software (not necessarily a real scheduler) that will allow developers to execute batch jobs on a remote server. Production jobs are scheduled via AutoSys. This will be something used for testing/debugging of existing jobs.

The jobs have to be able to connect to databases AS THE USER SUBMITTING THE JOB. I had thought that psexec might work for me. There's no real interface, but that's OK. The problem is that I can't get my connections to Oracle to work. I get an error (credential error) before even connecting to the DB. Plus, to make this work, I have to make each developer an admin on the remote server.

We have another product we've used for years, but don't want to pay the maitenance this year.

I installed VisualCron. I can't get anything working at this point. Before I spend any more time on it, I would like to know if it's going to be what I need.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Beverly
Sponsor
Forum information
Support
2010-05-03T23:30:23Z
VisualCron is foremost a automation tool. Is is fully possible to add Jobs which are only being run manually.

Credentials (VisualCron Credential) in SQL Tasks are only used if you require Windows authentication in your server. Are you using Direct Oracle connection type or ODBC, OLEDB?

What other product are you using right now?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
BeverlyZ
2010-05-04T01:15:01Z
Hi, Henrik. Yes, we do need to use Windows authentication into our databases. In most cases, the database connections are direct. There may be some jobs that use ODBC, but there wouldn't be many of these.

We also call other software, such as Focus, PowerPlay (some sort of OLAP producct), some .NET stuff, PERL, Java, etc. We run a lot of C-shell code, too.

I could not get any of the "buttons" on the VisualCron toolbar/ribbon to do anything much. I guess I need to root through the documentation more tomorrow. I just downloaded and did a quick install this afternoon. I'm going to be on vacation starting Thursday for a little over a week, and I'd like to try to lock down a product before I go. That may not be possible, though.

I installed to my PC (client only) and then did the server/client on the server. Is that pretty much enough of an installation to get going?

The other product we're using now, that we may not be using much longer, is Argent Queue Manager.

Thanks for your help.

Beverly

Support
2010-05-04T15:42:07Z
Beverly, I hope you got it working. You should be able to get it to work by just install the Client & Server package.
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com 
Please like  VisualCron on facebook!
Scroll to Top