Community forum

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline GeoffAlbin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:06:07 PM(UTC)
GeoffAlbin

United States

I have built and configured a Windows 2016 Data Center cluster with 2 nodes. I implemented Storage Spaces Direct. (S2D)

that technology basically creates a shared virtual disk at C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 (both nodes see the same disk)

my question is around the Role of the cluster. Do i need to create a high availability role for fail over capabilities? Ie Generic Application, Generic server, Other server?

I feel like i can install VC on the shared disk but how with the clients know what node is active? In order to create a virtual IP for the cluster to listen on, i need a Role, don't I?

thanks.
Offline Support  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 11:03:35 AM(UTC)
Support

Was thanked: 412 time(s) in 391 post(s)
You should install on the shared node. What do you mean by how will the Clients now? Will it not be the same dns name or ip?
Henrik
Support
http://www.visualcron.com
Please like VisualCron on facebook!
Offline GeoffAlbin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2019 12:15:48 PM(UTC)
GeoffAlbin

United States

Originally Posted by: Support Go to Quoted Post
You should install on the shared node. What do you mean by how will the Clients now? Will it not be the same dns name or ip?

in a cluster, you have to a Role. a Role defines 2 major things.

1. what is the defined process that is actually clustered. Ie, a service, an app, a process, etc
2. what is the virtual IP for the above service or app or process.

without criteria number 1, when a fail over occurs, how will the new primary node of the cluster know what process or service to start?
without criteria number 2, the client or web URL potentially will be pointing to an inactive secondary.

Now, i could get around criteria 2 with a load balancer, however, in order to set up a load balancer, it also has to listen to a port or process to know when to activate node 1 or node 2.

I could also ask a simpler question; when i failover the cluster, how does the new primary node know to start the VC service?